Uses for mild steel?

M. Cochran

I have a selection of mild steel (flat, round, angle, and rebar) that id like to use for different tools and other useful items. However i really don't know what kind of tools i can actually use mild for. That being said has anyone got suggestions? I'm already working on a guillotine tool and still practicing my tongs but hoped i could find some other uses.

Michael Cochran

I have used mild steel (1018 & A36) for bolsters, guards, and butt caps with great success. They blue and patina well.

”Whoever pursues righteousness and love finds life, prosperity, and honor!”

George Brackett

American Bladesmith's Society,

Apprentice Member

Hialeah, Florida

Blademark photo 375x75BladeMarkPunch-125-sm_zps2e740d6d.jpg

IF you can case harden them they work for quite a lot of tools. You can also weld higher carbon steel to the mild steel. The mild steel becomes the tool body and the higher carbon for the edge of the working tool. Knives, axes, struck tools, hammers, chisels, plains, saws, scissors, Just about anything you can think of. Mild steel also does great for springs for post vices and saw frames as in jewelers and hacksaw. 5160 doesn't like to weld to itself so a little bit of mild between the 5160 allows a nice easy weld. Good way to use up leaf springs off of vehicles. You can also make tables for around the workshop out of mild steel and fixtures and vices out of mild steel. Anvils can be welded up of various mild steel pieces and then faced with a plate of 5160 truck leaf spring as in my stake anvil. It can be used as rivets, screws, bolts and nails. You can use it to make blister steel, or as an ingredient in any number of crucible steels. You can remelt it in an Aristotle furnace to make cast iron or steel. Great for letter openers or bottle openers…..etc….etc….ad nausium. Thats were I will quit. It is only limited by your imagination and understanding of the properties of the material.

"Remember to live life to the fullest and without regret for the joy of life is that it ends." Me http://ipneto.deviantart.com/

To be honest i never thought about using it for pieces of a knife, thanks George for that.

Stephen thanks for that large list of ideas. I might try a few letter openers to help practice my forging.

To be honest i am working on an 'anvil' using some 3/8 x 7 plate a36. I have enough to make one about 55 lbs plus the weight of the carbon steel plate for the face. The hardest part for me on this project is going to be putting all the plates together (about 18 @ 4 x 7 and two more at about 5 1/2 x 7). I can weld some but I think i will enlist help to get the welds better. If anyone has suggestions on how to heat treat hc steel for an avil face with a charcoal fired drum forge and a household oven id really appreciate them. :)

Michael Cochran