Hello everyone,

I have found some old pieces, one is some kind of a pulley hook and the others are old barrels. The barrels have metal bandings on them and the are from "The Port Arthur Beverage Co." I have found out that the beverage company was bought out in 1948, so they would have had to been made before then. My question is, is it likely that they are wrought iron? They are very dark steel with little or no rust, is here a way to tell? The other hook pulley say "Vulcan 9" on it, and it is huge. I think that it would have to be made from good steel and was thinking of making a large blade with it. I know some of the ones marked Vulcan were drop forged, but most were cast iron. this one looks like good quality. I will attach a picture of the hook, and work on getting pictures of the barrels. Thanks for any help,

Johnny

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Edited by John C. Lewicki

From what I know of barrel hoops, they weren't the best steel, just iron. Although I admit knowing very little. If you find an antique shop, you might ask the antiquarian. Of course, you run the risk of being lynched if you tell them you're going to tear apart and old barrel. :)

Please don't destroy that beautiful old hook and pulley. Sell it on ebay and use the proceeds to buy some nice steel that you know is appropriate for making a knife.

Third!

Better idea all around. Keep the antique in circulation and get good known quality blade steel. Win Win.

James

Beautiful pulley. Don't destroy it! Those side-loading pulleys aren't entirely common and could be worth a pretty penny, especially when in good condition.

Making a blade out of it? Way too much work. You'd burn through a ton of fuel to reshape it, and then you end up with a blade made out of something you have no clue how to heat-treat. For the time and energy, you're better off either buying known wrought iron (ebay, etc) and known carbon alloy.

The barrel bands could be wrought iron if they're old enough. Being flat stock, it will be handy around the shop. Even if it's mild steel, it would be good for san mai or spacers or guards.... lots of stuff you can do with flat stock.

Edited by VaughnT