Sign in to follow this  
Dan

Design Work

I have a client who would like a matching set of Scagel type knives-camp knife and hunter. I have recently begun using the cadd software I use at work to start desgining knives now that I am back to forging.

I used to hand draw then transfer to a shim stock cut-out that I could layover without it burning up

What do you fellows use to desgin with?

P.S I am copying anothers well established design ideas And.....there will be Hamon on it. That should please Tai.

Dan

Scagel.jpg

Edited by Dan

Kukris

These are from an early 1800's design a friend brought back from Nepal. the rest is all mine. its very serpentine. I am not a profesional graphic designer nor do I pretend to be. It is what I hope to be an aid in my process.

Cheers

Dan

Kukri_drafts2.jpg

Edited by Dan

Those are cool, now if Scagel had only used hamon lines I might be a fan of his work! ;)

csc

Tribute to friend and teacher Hugh Bartrug

Uloo Skinner

Dan

uloo_skinner.jpg

Edited by Dan

I am afraid to dissapoint, but I just use pencil and paper, and as I am working I might feel that this or that works better so and generally it does so I do it.

I don't like working from a detailed design, had to do that for years in the jewellery trade.

But I have to admit they do look the part.

Richard

Which software is that?

I have AutoCad 2004 but bugger me I can't seem to be able to give it any non-architectural work.

I'm waiting for Corel Draw, but dunno if it will do me. Any suggestions on softwares for design Dan?

This is corel designer 12

Its great as it has all then symbal libraries you need fro engineering and architectural but then you have the advantage of all the fill effects.

Corel draw will work too

Dan

bowies2.jpgYeah I know.....

for years I just "smithed" out of my head. It was creative -yes. But I found the more I played by drawing and then smithing the more creative I got. But hey...thats just me

I can make a blade "profile" then play with a grind

Top is a recurve bowie

then a flat grind

then a chisel grind

Dan

Edited by Dan

It also helps with section profiles.I did cutting tests with various shapes with some friends. I am deep into the Japanese arts-they are into euro stuff

Dan

sections.jpg

Edited by Dan

I go with the old standard of pencil and paper. No real headache involved.

My brother uses QuickCad to design folders.

Dang those are nifty. :D:D:D

I just use a hammer and grinder to design mine. :D Of course they frown on that at work so it's pen and paper.

Edited by Sweany

So this is what we decided on for the big and little brother set. The big one is ten inces with a stag and Leather grip. At the end of the day it isn't a Scagel, but one of my own he liked.

i will be forging this weekend with my son I bought a digital camera and will track the progress just for fun. If I can figre out how to use the damn thing!

Dan

eastern_bowie.jpg

Edited by Dan