Tim Scarlatti

Ever ground down a callus?

I just did and didn't notice until I was bleeding on the hone. Interesting. Anybody done this? Am I sharpening my blades wrong?

Go over to Wally world in the girl section and find a ped egg. They will take a callous down smoothly and won't make u bleed.

Go over to Wally world in the girl section and find a ped egg. They will take a callous down smoothly and won't make u bleed.

I think he's more worried about the bloody belts than his finger.

Lol...the one thimg I learned about safety...the tools are always tougher than u...so don't worry about them!

On the contrary, blood causes gnarly rust pitting faster than many other substances. ;)

Very true, but its easier to run some sandpaper over the rust and get that shine back than to reattach a finger lol!!!

Very true, but its easier to run some sandpaper over the rust and get that shine back than to reattach a finger lol!!!

Well I think he's talking about a lost callous not a lost finger. I was thinking the blood might damage the belts, if they're not waterproof.

Well it happened because I was putting an edge on a knife for the first time. I was using a diamond hone and basically (since I don't feel much on the tips of my thumbs or index fingers) ground down my left one to the point where it bled on the hone and 2nd blade I was resharpening. The right one was getting close. Two dabs of superglue later, I can type but I'm wondering what can be done about this since I frequently rub off calluses on this hone.

Call me silly, but that would seem to indicate you need to change your grip?

Call me silly, but that would seem to indicate you need to change your grip?

Yes, but I have a small blade (for a pocket knife) that is difficult for my meat fingers to hold. Any suggestions?

Go to Wally world and look for "mole skin" in the foot care section of the pharmacy. Adhesive backed skin protector meant for preventing blisters on your feet. Tough stuff, reduces feeling, but it sounds like that is a non-issue for you at this point. The lack of sensation may also be why your fingers are getting down on the hone in the first place, even on a small pen knife I keep my pressure hand balanced up on the spine of the blade. That requires more feeling to keep perched vs just pressing on the flats. Fidling around with a push stick or some such may be another option for you.

Good luck,

James

Okay thanks. I'll try the moleskin. We have plenty sitting around.

If you think a hone is bad about loosing tissue, try a 36 grit belt at full speed.... my knuckle is growing back, slowly...

I was going to suggest this stuff, but any tape will work.

If you think a hone is bad about loosing tissue, try a 36 grit belt at full speed.... my knuckle is growing back, slowly...

I was going to suggest this stuff, but any tape will work.

Ooooo :o that sounds awful. Ouch.

I have to agree with Tim. I've used that stuff when I worked in a factory. It is self adhesive, forms well and holds it's shape while still being flexible. It also is a bit rubbery so it give a good grip.