Salem Straub

A new 10" pattern weld chef.

Here’s my latest 10” pattern welded chef knife.
The blade is forged in a coarse laddered w’s pattern in 15n20 and CruForgeV. The one-piece bolster is black canvas micarta, with spacers of blue G10 and stainless steel. The grip wood is stabilized dyed burl, “insanity wood” given to me by the talented and generous Bill Akers (Backwoods Custom Knives.)
Overall it’s a light knife with ample knuckle clearance, and quite thin. The last bit of width toward the edge is very slightly convex to aid in food release. The edge profile tends toward the French tradition of less belly, more of a push cutter’s knife.
Stats:
Blade length – 10”
Overall length – 14-7/8”
Max blade width – 2”
Spine thickness at ricasso- .125
Edge thickness before sharpening - .009”
Overall weight – 7.5 oz.
Here’s a few pics and a short vid. Enjoy! Tell me what you think about it if you like…
DSC03418.JPG
DSC03419.JPG
DSC03421.JPG
DSC03422.JPG
DSC03423.JPG
DSC03420.JPG
DSC03425.JPG
DSC03427.JPG
DSC03428.JPG
DSC03429.JPG
DSC03430.JPG
DSC03430.JPG
DSC03432.JPG
DSC03433.JPG
DSC03434.JPG
DSC03435.JPG

All i can say is WOW! Beautifully done Sir.

The blade is really cool, and the handle is incredible. I'm sure which I like better, the blade or the handle, I mean the color and pattern is really cool. Then again the pattern on the blade is insane, I'm trying to figure out how you did it. Another great one either way

Insanely beautiful! Both wood and blade...

I see a legen of demons in that blade and a score of trapped souls in the handle material, but thats just me... very stellar!

Beautiful and Handle material choices! Well done Sir!

I see a legen of demons in that blade and a score of trapped souls in the handle material, but thats just me... very stellar!

I have to agree with John. Up close that pattern is evil. really nice work. The insanity wood is crazy looking stuff.

I love the pattern of the steel, but the handle really sets it off...

that is some cool steel. very nice job.

kc

Very bold patterns and lines, it really has presence!

An instant heirloom! That insanity wood truly lives up to its name. At first I thought I was looking through a window into deep space :P

Seriously though, that is incredible. I have never seen a ladder pattern like that, and the effect is spectacular. The blue G10 is a little strange aesthetically, but to each his own. If I had that in my kitchen, I would be too intimidated to use it!

John

Absolutely Superb...

Thanks for the kind words everyone. John, you're right, the blue G10 is maybe the main element that either will or won't work for a given person. I like it OK, I'm just trying to steer away from the (imo) very overdone red spacer...

I see evil stuff in there too. Demons for sure. But I also see seismigraph reading, or polygraph lines, or especially a watermelon look! Rorschach steel...

I change my mind on the handle material. It looks more like cosmic actvity, very stellar!

NICE work !!!!! B)