Old knife I re-handled

This is a project I finished just before leaving for college last summer for a neighbor. It was a factory made blade, and the leather washer handle was literally rotting off. I cut off the handle and the pommel, (leaving the guard at the request of the owner) and then fit this handle on. From the guard, the materials are rosewood (I think), sheet copper, beech, sheet copper, and deer antler. The handle is a little too large for the blade, and given the size and shape of the antler, I'm not sure it's the most comfortable grip, but I'm pretty pleased with it overall.

IMG_0075.JPG

Cool, if you trim the back of the crown,to get it flush with the ridges, it'll look more 'finished off' and the 'button' can be carved or smoothed and polished...I like handles made up of diferent materials like this! Trick is to find a good to grip piece of antler... The project would have benefitted from a new and more sturdy guard, and if you didn't raise the back of the handle so much. It's more pleasing to the eye if it is level to the blade, creating a 'flowing line' from front to back,however, I like the neat work on the assembly,

-Miles

Edited by Miles Hebbard

Yeah - like I said, it could use a bit of work. The antler was what my friend gave me, so I tried to follow the lines of it, but it was definitely too big and curvy for the project. You're probably right that the guard should have been replaced. If I had my way, I would have ditched it (it's a hunting knife, not a bowie, so a guard seemed a little unnecessary) but my friend wanted to keep it, and it honestly never occurred to me to just replace it entirely. Given my skills and tools, though, I doubt I could have without wrecking the blade. It's the first time I've done a project like this, though, and first time working with antler, so I figure it can be a "live and learn" project. For the next one, I'll definitely take your advice!