tang dimesions?

P.Abrera

Just wondering what minimum dimensions (thickness/length?) you guys stick to when making hidden/partial tang knives?

I'm pre-drilling and cleaning out the tang holes with a small rasp before burning-in the tang but that's only as far as a standard drill bit can reach (about three inches). The last couple of extra inches of tang hole are tough to burn in cause theyre not pre-drilled. I eventually get it by repeated burning in but I think I'm weakening the handle material by exposing it to too much heat. How do you guys do it?

I drill from both sides but I like the screw together construction, and then I fill it with epoxy. How long are your handles? 3 inches for a 4 inch handle is plenty.

csc

abs journeyman

www.carrollknives.com

• 1 month later...

As a general rule, a hidden tang should be at least 2/3 the length of the handle. I make my hidden tangs as wide as I can get away with, slightly tapered in all dimensions. When in doubt, overbuild... :D

If the tang does not pass completely through the length of the handle, it is a really good idea to pin it.... never just trust the epoxy to hold it together.

I've never burned in a tang, never trusted the method enough not to damage the handle material. I expect the heat could have a detrimental effect on most of the materials I use.

George Ezell, bladesmith

" How much useful knowledge is lost by the scattered forms in which it is ushered to the world! How many solitary students spend half their lives in making discoveries which had been perfected a century before their time, for want of a condensed exhibition of what is known."
Buffon

view some of my work

RelicForge on facebook

I like to cram as much metal as possible into the grip. Since this tends to leave the wood pretty thin in spots, I make sure the hole is well filled and reinforced with JB Weld epoxy. Never had a grip or tang fail on me.

"I'm not anti-gun. I'm pro-knife." Molly Ivins

NT Limpin' Cat Prokopp