Nicholson Black Diamond Files

Does anyone know whether Nicholson has a factory direct site? I have been trying to Goggle one and haven't got it to pop-up yet!

If they don't have a factory direct site where is the best place to go for a good buy on the Nicholson Black Diamond Files!

I know they aren't cheap and I need to replace one that was ruined trying to turn a piece of hardened steel on a too fast lathe! "Live and Learn as they say"! I should have know better but I only ran it a couple of passes and it did not seem to be cutting as it should have when I turned the file to see if it had galled, I could see I had broken multiple rows of teeth! I could feel that, "Gee, that was stupid" feeling crawling up my back side but the damage was already done.

The file I need to replace is an old one but was in good shape till I screwed it up! It is a black diamond, Bastard file, approx. 11/4+" W x 12" cutting surface and 14" to the shoulders, so I assume that would be called a 1 1/14" X 12"!

What really makes me the maddest is that was a $2.00 file when I bought it at the Pawn Shop. I really picked it up just to make a blade out of and when I got it into the light and realized it wasn't hurt just rusty and galled. I cleaned up the gall with a brass scraper I use on all my files and ran a file card over it. Once cleaned up it was like new and I have been using it for several years. So guess I can make a knife out of it and finish getting my money's worth! LOL :lol:

Seriously though I am looking for the best place to order files from as my local supplier doesn't carry anything that big!

Edited by C Craft

C Craft Customs ~~~ With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down ! If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner! ~~~ C Craft

http://www.cooperhandtools.com/brands/nicholson_files/index.cfm

says site is under construction probably why google can't find it. It was there 5 or 6 months ago. The Nicholson Brand is now owned by Apex tool co. same parent co as Crescent tools. The link to the nicholson brand is in the right bar of this site: http://www.apexhandtools.com/ so if this address above dosn't work (they may change it) but my guess is when they set up the site a link will still be on the apex site.

Nicholson files are made in Mexico and Brazil now.

Noooooooooooo say it ain't so!!!!!

Thanks for the link and info Jason! Man you never know who owns what anymore, they retain the name but it all ends up under one company!

I just went back out and remeasured the old file, I think it may be a 14"!

How are files measured, from the cutting area, or too the shoulders???

OK I just stumbled across this site during a search and it is just full of info about metal files!

http://www.evenfallstudios.com/woodworks_library/nicholson_guide_to_filing_2006.pdf

Edited by C Craft

C Craft Customs ~~~ With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down ! If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner! ~~~ C Craft

Ya unfortunately it is. I don't think the company changed just where they are made. From what I've seen, the better ones are made in Brazil. The ones at the local big box store were made in Mexico and the ones in the local industrial supply houses were made in Brazil.

Bryan

Virtuite et Armis (Virtue at Arms)

http://kbryanforge.wordpress.com/

The Mexican Nicholsons are pretty poor at best. They were not shown how to run the machinery so the teeth don't always line up on the edges, and the HT or the steel choice makes them noticeably softer than the old American made ones. Some MBA in a suit evidently decided to pursue profit over quality, because after all who in this day and age uses files anyway... :angry:

I haven't begun the search for good new files yet, but I do know nobody makes the really big ones I use so much anymore except for Mexican Nicholson.

I got one of the Brazilian files yesterday. Works great no complaints. I have some of the American made ones and I can't tell any difference. Looks the same and feels the same. Hogs metal the same.

Bryan

Virtuite et Armis (Virtue at Arms)

http://kbryanforge.wordpress.com/