N. Runals

Moose Antler, 1084

I just finished up this little knife for a friend. Moose antler, 1084.

The pocket clip was an old silver cocktail fork... I'm usually not a fan of re-using something like that since I didn't do the ornimentation, but since it was a one time thing I'm okay with it. I'd love to hear what you guys think.

ringdotsilver.jpg

Pretty little knife Nate. Nice dot rings. Did your friend provide the fork? I sure like the idea of a clip like that. And I don't mind using a fork (maybe with the engraving ground out).. although if it is silver I'd be tempted to melt it down. :)

Edited by Scott A. Roush

what a great idea! I like the fork clip. whats up with those dots? Are they inlays or carved? i think over all it adds a cool look, nice work.

Nice job

Nice one! Great finish on the blade, and I agree with Scott, excellent execution on the ring-dots. I was wondering what the clip was, and I think it is a clever use of recycled materials.

John

I love everything about this one. I made a knife not long ago with a very similar shape and it quickly became my favorite, just right for just about anything... the ring-dots add the right amount of decoration... well done man!

Turned out well. I like the Moose antler and the sheath is simple and clean. I am still debating whether I like the spoon or not but, would down it because of it!

Thanks guys.

Scott, yes she did supply the fork. Grinding out the ornimentation is a great idea, and yes I did just want to melt it down :)

John L. Ring dots are an ancient form of ornimetation, here is a photo of the tool I made to make the dots, then they are filled with bone char (beeswax and burned bone powder)

George, thanks I love little knives like that... I really just wanted to keep it...

And yeah Craft, the more I look at the sterling fork handle the more I dislike it, although it does look pretty cool sticking out of the pocket.

Very cool work Nate, it came together well!

Whoops forgot to attach the photo of the ring dot tool

It is made from W1 and quenched in parks #50. The cutters are filed like saw teeth.

ring and dot.jpg

I think it's brilliant! Simple, clean and beautiful. I also don't mind the reclaimed fork. Reclaimed work is awesome.

Very nice! Elegant and useful looking...The ring-dots are just enough decoration. I may have to steal that fork/clip thing, if you dont mind.. :ph34r:

Great knife! Just the right amount of ornamentation in just the right places. Like everyone else, I think the fork is awesome!

From an artistic viewpoint, I think the fork handle is absolutely perfect. If you look at the lines, color and texture of the sheath by itself, it's very bland. There's just nothing there other than a leather pouch to hold something.

Put that funky bit of silver on there, though, and now you've got a piece that serves to highlight and showcase the decorative lines of the fork's handle. To me, the belt clip elevates the sheath from "nothing special" to "something very neat".

I would even go so far as to say that the the fork handle clip actually increases the value of the knife in the eye of the casual observer.

That's a nice knife, I think the fork is cool too. I made a similar tool for making ring dots, I want to do some on my big seax.