This knife belongs to a close friend, who likes cloudy contemplation and rainy dronescapes and layers on layers of sky, dirt, and the mist in between.

The blade is forged of Aldo Bruno's 1095, clay-hardened under the supervision of Matt Venier. The handle is carved moose antler, cow horn, desert ironwood Jeff Pringle found, and stacked birch bark that my uncle collected. The ferrule is silver and the pommel cap is salvaged wrought iron from Warner, New Hampshire.

The leather is tooled using only a knife and punches that I forged and filed out of 1084 (except my lantern touchmark). All organic materials are fully sealed with a beeswax-linseed oil mix, for misty morning solitary transcendence of time.

Thanks for looking! As always, a ridiculous amount of thanks to everyone who has helped me learn anything. Super thanks to Matt, without whom I probably wouldn't have gotten a hamon for years. Thanks also to Jeff for the ironwood (and everything else), thanks to Petr for teaching me almost all of the construction techniques I used, thanks to New Hampshire for most of the organic materials, and as always, thanks to this forum for being the most inclusive and educational creative community I have ever been a part of.

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0161.JPG

IMG_0166.JPG

IMG_0175.JPG

IMG_0177.JPG

IMG_0178.JPG

IMG_0181.JPG

Super work! Quite a use of materials, I love how they come from all over to make something so unified. That hamon... B) I really need to get to work on those. Not sure if I have mentioned it before, but I have to say, the lantern touchmark is awesome!

John

Nice Eli. I love the birch bark. That brings me back to the days when I got started. Not sure why I don't do it that much anymore. It's easy to look like a mess... but you did it wonderfully. Feels nice and warm in the hand doesn't it?

'dronescape' I like it. Reminds me of walking on frozen Lake Superior on a foggy day. :-)

Edited by Scott A. Roush

I like this one a lot! Material choices and use of symbolism are great. What really gets me are those bands on the sheath. They make it look really slim and compact but sturdy.

Really nice, Eli!

Awesome knife! That's one of the best hamons I've ever seen. Perfect job on everything. This might be a retarded question, but is the knife's theme in any way inspired/themed after last night's full blood moon? If not then that's still really cool, but if s then that's even cooler! I stayed up until three in the morning just to see it, and it was amazing, I have never seen a blood moon before, so it was pretty awesome for me.

All in all great job, it's cool how you said you used almost totally techniques that Petr taught you, and I can see Petr all over this knife.

That is a really nice piece. Everything combines in a very harmonious way.

Hey thank you everyone! Scott, that's pretty much the kind of dronescape I was thinking of. If you wanna hear dronescapes you should listed to the music made by my friend who owns the knife.

Collin, please don't use the word "retarded" that way! But thank you very much for your kind words. It was too cloudy here in Massachusetts for the blood moon! I tried to see it when it rose and it was beautiful but soon disappeared. And it wasn't intentional but it did all sort of come together, I love it when that happens. Very portentous seeming.

My apologies, it just kind of kind of felt like one of those "pointing out the obvious" moments, I have them all the time. :unsure:
That's unfortunate, It was really amazing to see. There's another one just like it coming up this fall though, there's supposed to be a bunch of blood moons right after each other for about a year and a half, I think three full ones from now until next fall, I don't know about partial ones though.

Eli, it wasn't a really stark blood color, as the name suggests, it is more orange, kind of a pale red. And it was darker at some points than others, at the climax of the eclipse it looked like this http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSq9oq8FgwHQAleDh7jIJB3AO-sESwHT3fmjmQpWaOSgDX9sslqDQ of course pictures don't do it justice, I tried to get pictures myself but it didn't work, it just looked like a bright blurry spot. <_<

Edit to add, here is some photography of the actual blood moon that I saw last night http://frompicastopixels.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/lunar-eclipse.jpg

Edited by Collin Miller

Hot diggerdy Eli, that's one sweet piece of meat......I mean knife.

It will be good to see you, dang, it's a coming kind of fast.......

I guess I'm feeling a little Americane sitting at heathrow with a beer at 5.30 am heading across your way to balance the back flow in May...........

I really like this one. great work. you are talented, Eli