More fun with Ball-bearings!

My 52100 ball-bearing damascus still seems to be one of my most popular steels and I keep playing with different ideas folks give me. Hope you like them.

J.

002_152.jpg

Here is one of my BUK knives in BB damascus with Black G-10 handle scales and a matching Kydex sheath.

017_52.jpg

Here is a Stag Crown Bowie with a wrought iron oval guard and laminate damascus throat, as well as a nice hamon/quench line.

012_90.jpg

Here is one of my "Fancy" Clip-point Hunter knives in Desert Ironwood Burl and a throat of stabilized Giraffe bone.

013_71.jpg

Here's one of my Mini Neck/Push Daggers (flat backed) with handle scales of Westinghouse Micarta and a matching tan Kydex neck sheath.

How do you get the ball bearings to stick together for welding? I really have no knowledge about using them so i had to ask.

I do my ball-bearing damascus in a canister weld using 1095 powder as a binder.

I've got a Youtube video as well with some tips on doing this as well...

Ok hate to ask another stupid question but where do you get your powdered steel? Is it one of those things where you catch your filings and use it. I googled it but can't really find anything I might just be using the wrong keywords for my search.

Ok hate to ask another stupid question but where do you get your powdered steel? Is it one of those things where you catch your filings and use it. I googled it but can't really find anything I might just be using the wrong keywords for my search.

No worries at all. Contact Kelly Cupples, he's the one I get all of my powdered steel from and he's a great guy to deal with as well... octihunter@charter.net

E-mail him and ask him for a listing of what he has available, I'm sure you'll be at least happy if not impressed.

I checked out your youtube channel and didn't see any of you actually forging the can. If I missed it can you point me in the right place? Or if you don't have one up, please consider this a request. :D

I checked out your youtube channel and didn't see any of you actually forging the can. If I missed it can you point me in the right place? Or if you don't have one up, please consider this a request. :D

No, sorry. didn't show the actual forging. I use a 35 ton press I built several years ago so the forging is the easier part of the process. The set-up is the tricky part.

How many heats does it typically take for the size can in your video? I may never have the guts to actually try powder work, but it sure is neat.

I usually do 3-4 heats before I peal the can off. Then either slice it up and forge those bars for the more "round" bearings or you can take the whole billet and streach it, twist it, whatever.