Cable blade WIP

I thought I would take a couple of pictures before I start working on this project. The cable is 1 1/4" and 17" long. You will notice the wire wrapped around the ends. I did this so I could keep the cable round as I twisted the cable with channel lock pliers. Now I just need to get some fresh coal and get to work.

cable1.jpg

cable2.jpg

I just wanted to verify that that is not galvanized cable? Kinda looks like it in the photos...

Otherwise, good luck with the welding, cable can be fun once you get the hang of it.

Hurry up Matt, I want to see how it turns out! After I line my forge with some ITC-100 I'm gonna give it a try. Are you doing it by hand or do you have a press?

Silence! Matt haha, Yeah man, I'm tryin. I am going to use the guillotine I just made (pic in tools forum) I have a garbage can full of coked coal, but I would like to get some green coal to do the forge welding. At $30 for a 50# bag, I have to wait till I get my VA disability on the 1st.

Hey Matt,

I am anxious as well. I have some cable but not stranded as yours and I've had a time trying to weld it. It's pre-stressed bridge cable and sparks high in carbon. I did as you and even twisted it tighter, and turned it as I hammered but I've determined the forge isn't quite hot enough.

Coal in California is higher priced. Here I bought a 50lb bag of Pocohontas 3 for $17. After looking everywhere, I found some locally at a welding store which I didn't expect to find.

Gary T