Sign in to follow this  
Tristan

harden a sword and having a rod tied to it?

well hello, im about to harden a sword soon and i saw on some site a man who tied a thick rod (or two?) to the swords flats. So i wonder, is this any good? Will it prevent the sword from bending or will it just slow down the quench?

??????? :blink:

I saw this too (on the brazillian bladesmiths side with that wild damascus viking sword..)) -- It'd possibly help, but I think on the pics youre talking about he set the round rods in fullers in the blade -- try it on a flat or diamond section and troubles bound to arise - - Yes, it would help stop warpage-as for slowing down the quench? maybe, around the spine area-could be an easy way of diff tempering, but I dont know how consistant it'd be.

It honestly seems like alot of hassel though... I'd say try it without, first, unless you're REALLY worried about warpage...

Even thebest method can produce warping sometimes, I say its best to learn how to deal with it, right now, and bite the bullet..

Edited by Brett Josef Schmidthuber

In practice, the rods as a backing won't prevent the warps... if the blade decides to warp, the rods will warp right along with it. The added mass can play a factor in the quench as well and there could concievably be issues there as well.

Swords warp in the quench. Occasionally, one won't, and come out straight...at this point I consider it a small gift from the gods just to let me know they are watching... but other than that, swords warp. It's a given and I believe getting to concentrated on preventing it at some point gets in the way of figuring out ways to deal with it after it inevitably happens.

Good normalization is the best preventative medicine, it'll reduce the severity of warpage a great deal. Being smooth and consistant in your movements helps alot. Don't hesitate, be sure of what you are going to do before you do it. Clear your mind of warping and other problems... get it hot enough, hold it there , quench it, get it into the tempering medium, and walk away.

Warps are to be dealt with later.

My first try at a long blade got me a warped blade. After the temper I tried to straighten it and snapped it in two. Now I'm paranoid about ;-) Of course that prompted me to do some experimenting with tempering till I was a lot more sure of what I was doing. The next blade was thoroughly normalized over a three day period and came out of the quench arrow straight when the time came.

I've been turning that Brazilian method around in my head since I saw it. Seems like it would be a great way to get a soft spine on a double edged sword. I'm still trying to figure out how Don gets those beautiful hamon on his double edged blades.

To be honest Greyangel, all of the answers, I truly believe, lie in the practice.

Hey, do the rod thing, but honestly commit to it... don't do it once, and run away cryin when it doesn't work... like some that try waterquench do ( hehehehe)

Longblades require a commitment, regardless of design, cultural background, ethnic roots...

and practice is the key... consistancy, smoothness, total commitment so there is no hesitation or second-guessing... like any martial art the key is practice.

Double-edged hamon.... vertical quench, balanced clay mass, faith, centered mind, single-malt...

:D

• Haha 1

well spoken!!

csc

Edited by csc

Skip the malt and ditto.

the single malt is for after the quench is done...

:blink:

Actually, this weekend I heat-treated a lot of stuff to try and get my program back on track... 4 swords, a bunch of knives both for myself and other folks....

the stress is too much for me at this point, I just can't do that anymore.

By the last sword I'm a total wreck...

think I'll ditch the salts altogether and go back to one-at-a-time.

Sign in to follow this