Sign in to follow this  
Tristan

weldingflaws

i forged a sword the other day and now finished it an find som welding flaws.

It has two bars of 15n20-20c twist in the edges and and a line och 15n20 and pure nickle running in the middle between the bars. The flaw is offcourse in the nickel line. Its 3-4 inches from the point and its about 2-3 inches long "crack" but i dont think it goes the whole way through the blade. Well what do you think, should it be any problem? have you had any experience with this and how has it affected stuff :mellow: ?

are you going to sell it? I wouldn't. I might finish it just for practice then do some testing on it, basically destroy it (I know its painfull) but this will help give you feed back on how good your welds are and how to heat treat.

csc

Edited by csc

are you going to sell it? I wouldn't. I might finish it just for  practice then do some testing on it, basically destroy it (I know its painfull) but this will help give you feed back on how good your welds are and how to heat treat.

csc

24534[/snapback]

i havent planned to sell it but if someones interested thats fine. I will se how it turns out, but i dont think i will destroy it. If it look bad i can cut of the section with the flaw. Dont know yet.

Many of the old pattern-welded blades had welding flaws in the center bars, but that's a no-go today. Then again, lots of folks won't take a blade with pure nickel in it either. Diff'rent strokes and so on. I knind of like small flaws, myself. B)

Many of the old pattern-welded blades had welding flaws in the center bars, but that's a no-go today.  Then again, lots of folks won't take a blade with pure nickel in it either.  Diff'rent strokes and so on. I knind of like small flaws, myself. B)

24650[/snapback]

yeah i read that somewhere, that the flaws was there to make the blade more flexible i think.

About that nickel, its not in the edge, it just a line in the middle why do people have any problem with that?

Guest TimCrocker

I've found most collectors looking for a show piece dont mind the nickel. It's usually the experienced users that don't like it. It's just too soft for an edge material, and when you use the knife it is noticeable. And as you've experienced, if you are in the learning curve with using it in damascus, it is the most likely spot to have flaws or cold shuts. I have found that if you miss a cold shut on a blade it can hide pretty good sometimes. A week or two later you can often see corrosion start from the flux at the bad spot. I do all of my damascus by hand and there is a much greater likelyhood of a flaw than if I used a good press. I often let my damascus sit for a couple weeks just to be sure I didn't miss any flaws. I'm sure there are easier ways but it works for me. I have to agree that I probably wouldn't sell it. One bad blade can give you a reputation that 100 good ones won't.

Sign in to follow this