WIP - XVIIIb longsword

Lukas MG

Awesome.

“If you trust in yourself. . . believe in your dreams. . . and follow your star. . . you will still get beaten by the people who have spent their time working hard and learning things, the people who weren't so lazy.” ~ Terry Pratchett

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I normaly shout for clean, polished work...but in this case I think you got the 'rough look' down pat! (Can't wait either!)

To become old and wise... You first have to survive being young and foolish! ;) Ikisu.blogsot.com. Email; milesikisu@gmail.com mobile: +27784653651

• 1 month later...

So, I finally got the blade back from the heat treater. The blade has two pretty bad kinks on opposite sides and a bit of sabering in the lower part. On the bright side it hardened up very nicely and flexes great. The sabering I was already able to fix via grinding, the kinks will be a pain though. I probably won't be able to get them out completely but I'm optimistic I'll get them to a point where very few people will be able to see it. Since originals a rarely perfect in this way, I'm not too upset about it.

I'll post pics once the blade is done, the kinks aren't really visible on pics so no point in showing them.

Edited by Lukas MG

Ok, time for pics!!

I managed to get the kinks 99% out... here are some blurry pics (my camera died, had to take an old one):

P1010066.jpg

P1010068.jpg

I also finished the final grind and foundation sharpening. This is what the blade looks like now:

P1010061.jpg

P1010062.jpg

Next up is hand sanding to clean up all remaining irregularities. The blade will also be sharpened in the process.

I had a friend with a lathe make the pommel. Here it is, he did a stellar job: P1010064.jpg

P1010063.jpg

I still need to key it and shape the tang for a close fit. The guard also needs to be fitted.

Edited by Lukas MG

Looks good to me, now I want to make one!

To become old and wise... You first have to survive being young and foolish! ;) Ikisu.blogsot.com. Email; milesikisu@gmail.com mobile: +27784653651

Looking good!

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com

So, the blade is finished:

P1070557.jpg

I will do a final touch up after mounting but it's 99% there.

P1070553.jpg

Did I mention that the point on this is absolutely brutal? :D

The pommel has been fitted as well. It's a 8mm round section with the lower part being rectangular to avoid turning. The transition is in the pommel, not below, which is important for durability. The fit is such that the pommel slips down easily for about 2/3 of the way but has to be beaten down the rest, wedging tightly. This is followed by back peening on the lower end and hot peening on top. The pommels I've mounted that way are almost impossible to get off even after the peen has be ground down.

P1070554.jpg

P1070555.jpg

Cool! That's looking really good.

“If you trust in yourself. . . believe in your dreams. . . and follow your star. . . you will still get beaten by the people who have spent their time working hard and learning things, the people who weren't so lazy.” ~ Terry Pratchett

After peening:

P1070566.jpg

After clean up:

P1070567.jpg

As with the guard, I'm going with a handmade appearance, no excessive polishing, just a simple, smooth surface. Much more durable and easier to maintain than a mirror polish. Also more appropriate for a practical sword I think.

That's it for now. The rest of the work (grip and final polish) will have to wait till next weekend or the weekend after that... gotta go to school. Stay tuned!!

That's looking really nice! What do you have planned for the grip?

That's going to be pretty!

Fantastic. Enjoying the build.

Just my experience but generally i find " a bit on the thick side" translates to annoyance and frustration and sometimes a lot of lost time.

Just sayin.

:0)

Randal

www.rhgraham.simpl.com

Looking good! I say brown.

Use what you are going to use on the scabbard...if you're useing leather on the scabbard!