Box Store Treadle Hammer

I looked at helve configurations but the inline arrangement is so convenient for both forging and using top tools I need to give it a try. To use a sledge head we were talking about using a wheelbarrow or posthole digger handle because of the square end.

Lol...If I had a welder I'd cut the sledge in half, make up a metal box, weld one piece of head to the bottom, use the other as a matching die and fill the box with sand or lead weights. But I need my money more than harbor freight does :P

Its an experiment to make something to speed up hand hammering. It's no little giant, certainly. We'll see in testing, and I'll give an honest appraisal of it's effectiveness. Could go either way, it's fun to push the envelope, though. It already crushes cans !

I was going up and down the aisles of Lowes trying to find a better material for the head. How about laminating flooring into a stack ? Or, Home Depot sells steel fence post drivers.....I'm open to any solution...

Are you talking about something like oak hardwood flooring? If you get the real stuff and not the glue down it has a lot of strength down the length of the board but, I couldn't be comfortable speculating how well it would hold up to the kind of torture this would give it. I do look forward to seeing what you come up with.

I like the idea, especially as a lot of guys might not have much metal fabricating capabilities. One of the main complaints from a lot of new guys is finding metal big enough to make something like a hammer frame, and then assembling it without welders, torches, etc. If you can come up with a way to make one using common materials like wood flooring and laminated-dimensional-lumber, I'm all for it.

The ram and anvil.... I'd be curious how those fence post drivers would work if you backfill them with lead shot and epoxy. The lead would give them some oomph, but I'm not sure how feasible it would be.

Well the hammer is finished and the dies are mounted. It hits pretty well, and the chain allows a snappy, bouncy motion I wasn't expecting. Now we're clearing space by the forge for it to sit while testing..wish us luck!

Very cool project - give us pictures!!! Have you thought about whether you could integrate some of the bigger black iron pipe into the design? Like maybe a 3' section filled with cement and capped off with a sledge head as the anvil?

Forged steel with it today ! It hits just fine....harder and more accurately than forging by hand. We did add about ten pounds to the head with a one inch thick plate sandwiched in between the bottom of the head and the die.

I'd be curious how those fence post drivers would work if you backfill them with lead shot and epoxy. The lead would give them some oomph, but I'm not sure how feasible it would be.

Take it from someone who's built a lot of fence with one of those things. All a post pounder is is a metal tube with a solid end and a lot of weight, and if you're lucky, handles on the outside. I think it would work. I'd take off the handles, if it has any. I don't know if they'd need to be filled with anything. Mine weighs about 10-15 lbs. as it is.

Well we brought the machine, now called "Woody", to the spring conference of the Appalachian Blacksmith Association. It worked great ! Lots of people got to use it and it hits HARD! The thing that pushed it over the top was olive oil....other lubes just weren't giving it the smooth action required, but good old fashioned extra virgin did the job. Hell, if it worked for the Romans, right ?