This is the one on the bench right now. I hope to have it finished by the weeks end.

Let me know what you think, I'll give details when I finish it up. Thanks for looking!!

Side note the stuff that looks like epoxy in front of the bolster is sticky wax. It's a wax that is used for glueing wax parts together in casting. These bolsters have hidden pins and I wanted to hold them in place while I shaped the rest of the parts. Stick wax holds like epoxy and releases with a heat gun. ;)

Kip

Donnies clip point 001.JPG

Donnies clip point 002.JPG

Edited by Kip Kaiser

Looks good, Kip. Hard to see many details from the photos, but I'd love to see more.

Ever do anything with that damascus bar?

Cheers,

Dave

Not yet Dave! but funny you ask. I was going to try to use it for a piece before the blade show this year, with no luck. I have all the components I want to use in the knife. It may sound funny but I can't get my design just right, :wacko::blink:

I'll show Pictures of this current knife when it done. Thanks for the reply

Kip

Looks great so far Kip! It's always a pleasure to see what's going on on your bench. Can't wait to see her finished!

John

Mammoth tooth, huh? Tough stuff to work, but I'm sure you'll pull it off! B)

You're not kidding Alan the first pin hole walked on me and I didn't notice until it was too late and I had to change my layout on the tang. :angry:

Kip

Alright KT here she is!

Blade is random pattern damascus, 3 1/4"

Handle is mammoth tooth with cast bronze fittings.

This will be delivered in Atlanta.

Thanks for looking, let me know what you think!

Kip

Donnies neck knife 001.JPG

Donnies neck knife 002.JPG

Donnies neck knife 003.JPG

Donnies neck knife 004.JPG

It's nice when you post pic's and see things that need to be cleaned up. :angry: That's a little epoxy that needs to be cleaned of the bottom, I haven't looked at it in the daylight yet. <_<

Kip

Kip,

I think this piece has a lot going for it.

-- The textures match. The lower layer pattern weld compliments the handle material, which in turn compliments the texture of the bolster.

-- The color scheme is also very well planned. The gold textures in the slabs reflect and compliment the bolster and pins.

-- The simulated plunge cut is nice.

-- I like how the pattern demonstrates this is at least a partially forged-to-shape blade with the layers contouring at the tip. Not a cut on those that start w/ PW barstock and do stock removal, just a something I enjoy seeing.

A few suggestions:

--- The handle seems a tiny bit short.

--- I think the grip would benefit from a bit more contouring/rounding. The relatively flat aspect of the grip gives it the appearance of a folding knife at first glance.

Awesome job, Kip! Keep 'em coming!

Dave

Kip,

I think this piece has a lot going for it.

-- The textures match. The lower layer pattern weld compliments the handle material, which in turn compliments the texture of the bolster.

-- The color scheme is also very well planned. The gold textures in the slabs reflect and compliment the bolster and pins.

-- The simulated plunge cut is nice.

-- I like how the pattern demonstrates this is at least a partially forged-to-shape blade with the layers contouring at the tip. Not a cut on those that start w/ PW barstock and do stock removal, just a something I enjoy seeing.

A few suggestions:

--- The handle seems a tiny bit short.

--- I think the grip would benefit from a bit more contouring/rounding. The relatively flat aspect of the grip gives it the appearance of a folding knife at first glance.

Awesome job, Kip! Keep 'em coming!

Dave

Thanks for the input Dave, your right on all accounts with your suggestion I never was able to get my heart in to this one. This is a commision and and I don't much like making knives I have to make. I like to make what I want to make!

Not unlike the one I have saved the crushed W for!!! My take on a David DelaGardelle design!!! I love his work!! I'll be starting that project mid june after Blade in Atlanta.

Thanks again

Kip

I agree with Dave-lots of really good stuff going on with this one. I especially liked the complimenting bolster finish to the Damascus. Felt like they were made for each other :).

I'd especially like to hear any more on the wax-where do you get it and how hot does it have to get to release? I've just been contemplating how to contour wood scales on a full tang knife that needs etched (shape scales prior to final construction). I'm wanting to use 1/16" pins and figure I could try holding everything together as I shape them, but a bit of this magic wax might make my life waaaay easier. If I can get it to release without burning the scales, things are looking up for me :).

Thanks for sharing this knife, even if you don't love it. The knives you post just keep getting better.

Jeremy

I agree with Dave-lots of really good stuff going on with this one. I especially liked the complimenting bolster finish to the Damascus. Felt like they were made for each other :).

I'd especially like to hear any more on the wax-where do you get it and how hot does it have to get to release? I've just been contemplating how to contour wood scales on a full tang knife that needs etched (shape scales prior to final construction). I'm wanting to use 1/16" pins and figure I could try holding everything together as I shape them, but a bit of this magic wax might make my life waaaay easier. If I can get it to release without burning the scales, things are looking up for me :).

Thanks for sharing this knife, even if you don't love it. The knives you post just keep getting better.

Jeremy

Hey Jeremy

I get the wax thru Rio Grande the product is called modeler's sticky wax stock # 700740. most times you can slid a razor under the part to remove and it will pop right of, If that doesn't work a little hear from a heat gun and it will loosen up the wax enough that it will slid right of. Hope this helps!

Kip