Seax1FS.jpg
This is my first interpretation of the viking style blade known as a seax. When making this knife I tried to use as many traditional techniques as possible, and materials that produced an archaic look. The blade was made from my very first piece of homemade steel, lightly etched in a vinegar solution. The guard and pommel are cast bronze, and the handle is bog oak. This piece comes out of Russia and is said to be over 5000 years old. All of these elements are held together with a natural pine pitch glue made from pine sap that I gathered from the tree.

Seax3FS.jpg

The guard was made using the traditional process of sand casting. The texture from the sand is still present on the upper portion of the guard. The sides were cleanly polished and stamped with handmade tools to produce a leaf and vine design.

Seax2FS.jpg

The pommel of this knife is the only portion of this blade that was made using a more modern process. A rubber mold of a handmade model was used to create the wax that was cast to create this pommel. The techniques of chasing and repousse used to create the model however, along with lost wax casting, are very ancient.

This piece will be a part of my graduate exhibition from Haywood Community College, and will be on display at the Folk Art Center, located at Milepost 382 of the Blue Ridge Parkway in Asheville, NC, from May 17 - September 14 this year.

A great Job.

Every inch oozing with character, I really like it.

Nice! I love the way the bronze looks with that bog oak.

Edited by Collin Miller