Forn-fljót: Ancient River -- Sax blade

As above, it is going to be magnificent I'm sure! Nice kiln btw! Got to get myself one like it!

Miles

That's just awesome, I love the way this is going, the cocobolo wood is perfect for this seax.

Yeah, I remember the Arctic Fire 2013 cast video, I was watching it live and it about scared me to death. lol Good to see you got a new kiln for burnouts though.

Not to be nosy or anything, but how much would you say a really bare bones lost wax set up would cost, without a vacuum caster and a kiln and stuff? I'd really like to do lost wax but it seems pretty costly on the front end to get the equipment and everything, so I just decided I'd have to fabricate all my stuff for a while, and maybe save up for last wax someday.

Not to hijack the thread...

...But I recently leapt into this exact situation. I used a toaster oven to cure the plaster and melt out as much wax as possible, then set it in my forge at ~1900 for an hour or so to atomize what was left of the wax. The flasks and bases I ordered from RioGrande were combined less than $10 I believe. Another 5 or so for some sprue wax, and however much you want to spend on carving wax. I got a decent sized block for $6 or so, and then the investment. I ordered a larger (30lb I think) box of Satin Cast, but you can get it in smaller quantities. Last were the crucibles and metal you want to cast in. Clay crucibles can be as little as (or less than) $5, and the casting grain is all over the place depending on what metal you are going for. That's all I needed to get a good cast. Granted it took a lot of trial and error, but in the end I learned a lot and got some good advice from the kind folks of the forum. Persistence and time are your most valuable tools. I made silicon moulds of my waxes because I suspected I would not get it right the first time (took 6). That was more of a failsafe luxury than anything else though. Good luck!

/hikack

:P

Hope the casting is going/went well for you Dave!

John

Thanks, John! That is really helpful, and sounds doable.
By the way the dagger in your thread looks really awesome.

Epic Failure! :D

Ah the joys of trial and error and "lessons learned!"

The casting was not a success. 2 of 3 pieces were totally lost. The one that survived had unacceptable pits.

I suspect that I didn't sprue them correctly/sufficiently. Or maybe the bronze wasn't hot enough. Or maybe I forgot to sacrifice that ritual chicken . . .

Anyway, here's the one piece that kind of survived.

IMG_0092.JPG

So, not time to re-carve and cast. I fabricated a bolster/pommel yesterday. I also did the carving. Here's where I'm at.

IMG_0091.JPG

IMG_0081.JPG

Next and last step is to fabricate the rivet block and peen the tang. Then throw it in the bag and head to the airport.

Nothing like cutting it close!

Grins,

Dave

Sorry to hear it Dave :wacko: It seems the casting sprites are feeling particularly devious as winter finally relinquishes it grasp. Even so, I love the plan B and the mountain carvings on the handle. Just the right amount IMHO. Safe travels!

John

p.s. Glad I could help, Collin. One piece left to cast (again)!

Sorry to hear that! The handle carving looks good, and I like the new fab'd pieces as well.

It would have been great to see the original bolster/ppommel come out, but what you did instead is still very beautiful.

That looks good. Best of luck next time you try casting :) Another thing to put on my to-do list...

I like the carving. I do think though that the handle tapers a bit too much in the middle, I think it would look a bit more fitting with the broad blade if the handle stayed thicker. Don't know it feels though and that's the most important thing after all ^_^

Sad about the cast, but as things go, it still came out great in the end! Time limits always seem to cause trouble! To me anyway! Beter luck on the next and have a good trip!!!

Beautiful knife, Dave. I really love the mountains in the blade, and their reflections in the handle.

I'm sorry about the castings - i was wondering how the braids would come out since they were actually twisted wax, which makes for deep spaces between them. I'm also embarking on the lost wax casting journey, so I'd love to hear more see more pictures of your progress. I'll be sure to post mine - I'm still just carving wax, but I'm taking a class at the end of the month with a professional sculptor/jeweler so hopefully I'll have lots of information to pass on.

Kinda reminds me of a "sampler" -- the old needlework projects women used to do to show off the various kinds of stitches they could do. Great showpiece!

It does have a lot of different stuff in a small package. The carving on the handle is quite good. You just suddenly burst into carving. (I realize you have probably spent untold hours practicing, but for those of us who don't see the interim stuff, it seems you just snapped your fingers and began carving). It really is very good. I am impressed.

kc

Thanks guys!

Kevin -- Thanks for the kind words re: carving. During AF 2013 Jake advised that I start carving just (I forget the name he used for it . . . but the style of carving where you just draw lines), and work my way up to the high relief stuff that I was trying and getting frustrated on. It has proved very good advice. I still have a long way to go before I feel good about just this simple style of carving.

Grins,

Dave

That's cool, Dave. You're talking about chip carving, it's a lot of fun and isn't near as hard or time consuming as relief carving, I enjoy it a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice! I like the peined tang.

Nice work.

I have the same basic kiln, only it is just over 36" tall, with 4 stacked units. I love it, and just hang my work inside the big pipe I put in the middle and cover the top with kaowool. It is the best thing I have, besides the grinder.

I have had the same issues with carving/engraving of sword fittings in the Chinese style. There is a huge gap between carving/engraving in some vinework and carving a dragon in relief. I have to stick to the lines and vines for awhile.

Or, as Richard Sextone once said of my 5th or 6th goosequill dao (speaking of the handle and fittings), "you have taken a $2,000.00 blade and turned it into a $1,000.00 sword."

edited to add: (I consider Richard a dear friend, and he delivered this with all humor and kindness. I have a lot more respect and affection for people who care about me enough to tell me the truth and try to really help me than those who smile and give me a hollow complement because it is easy or socially-appropriate. As JD said, "they are shining you on, man!" I know you understand exactly what I mean, Dave. Which is why I hope you realize that seriously, your carving has come a long way. It gives a sense of depth and perspective.

thanks for sharing.

kc

Edited by Kevin (The Professor)

Wow, well said Kevin! I agree completely. If I start messing stuff up and my work is crap I expect the great people on here to look at it and say, "Collin, this looks like crap and here's how to fix it." and I can have a lot more respect for somebody who has the guts to say that, and I probably won't make that mistake again.