Sign in to follow this  
Phil Ullrich

....and another scandi

Another blade rescued from a garage sale and given a new life .... practice for me. Blade had some serious pitting and such but solid in the end. Handle is stuff I brought back from the mountains: elk antler, vine maple, and experimental spacers from some sort of high elevation juniper with flaky strong bark. I wanted the effect of birch bark but we don't really have that around here so I'm trying out some alternatives. This seemed to work pretty well. Sheath has vine maple core. In one pic you can see the bronze nail and copper washer used to disguise a cosmetic peening fail. Think I'm going to switch to hidden tang for these little knives. I love working with this vine maple but you get these weird pockets of grey-blue discoloration...I don't think it's grime from me, but who knows.

DSC05256.JPGDSC05260.JPGDSC05261.JPGDSC05263.JPGDSC05265.JPGDSC05264.JPG

I dig that 'eye' peering out of the wood grain...nice little knife Phil!

Very Cool and well Done .

Is this type of "really fat butt" handles has any specific name or coming of specific village region. I've seen some fatties but this is beating everything. Look comfortable as sturdy. How would you describe it in your hand?

It's definitely a fatty! No examples that I was working from, I just enlarged the form you often see in knives like this. I have a pinky finger that wont close completely so I like big handles. In the hand the fat butt fills the palm, with fine control from the thumb and forefinger.

great little puukko and a very interesting handle shape!nice work!