Back to things I want to make!!!

This is a knife I have wanted to make for a while. I got permission from David DelaGardelle a while back to play around with his designs a bit so this is what I came up with!!! Davids guards are much more detailed than this one I'm just not quite there yet. This was more to get the feel of the overall shape and feel.

The blade is 8" damascus

Handle is stag 6"

fitting are hand carved copper

I'm happy with the outcome the next one will have more detail in the guard and carving on the handle.

Thanks for looking!!!!

Kip

Hobbit fighter 001.JPG

Hobbit fighter 002.JPG

Hobbit fighter 003.JPG

Hobbit fighter 004.JPG

Hobbit fighter 005.JPG

Hobbit fighter 006.JPG

Hobbit fighter 007.JPG

This is great stuff Kip. That guard is gorgeous. I love the small braid at the top and of course I love the antiquing of it as well. The leather tooling is pretty as well. Matter of fact Kip, I think you made this knife for me. Everything about it is something I would have chosen. Drop it in the mail post haste and we will be square :lol:

That's really great, I'd say you've honored David's design! How did you carve the copper? Looks like something I'd like to try.

Hey Phil

I use my dremel mostly, and some files and every sanding apparatus known to man!!! Thanks

Kip

Thanks everyone you are to kind!!!

Kip

Nice! Great job on everything, I love Dave's designs and you executed it perfectly!

Wes, if you want it, you're going to have to fight me for it. :P

Nice! Great job on everything, I love Dave's designs and you executed it perfectly!

Wes, if you want it, you're going to have to fight me for it. :P

You can both fight over it in Atlanta!!! Forum member discount.

Neat, Kip! I like the antler handle. It compliments the guard. Dark-Elf-Esque!

Maybe make the grind a bit wider next time? My guess is the cutting geometry is a bit steep on this one (I know it's a fantasy piece, but in the spirit of making useable art . . .)

Keep 'em coming man!

Dave

Really neat piece. The guard has some fantastic lines, but I think the antler is what really sets the whole thing off. Any other handle would have been lacking that certain something.

Excellent work.

Neat, Kip! I like the antler handle. It compliments the guard. Dark-Elf-Esque!

Maybe make the grind a bit wider next time? My guess is the cutting geometry is a bit steep on this one (I know it's a fantasy piece, but in the spirit of making useable art . . .)

Keep 'em coming man!

Dave

Thanks Dave, I had hoped to run the grind up a bit further but this blade is just shy of an 1/8" much thinner than I am used to working with. I free hand all my grinds so it made me a bit nervous to go much deeper. As always thanks for your input.

Kip

Kip... very cool. That guard is really something.

If you don't mind me saying: I've seen your stuff in person and the thing that struck me was how much better they looked in person. I think the artistic qualities of this knife would be much better shown off in better light and a more simple background. The knife has so much texture and stuff going on that it would really pop against a simple, dark background with good lighting.

Kip... very cool. That guard is really something.

If you don't mind me saying: I've seen your stuff in person and the thing that struck me was how much better they looked in person. I think the artistic qualities of this knife would be much better shown off in better light and a more simple background. The knife has so much texture and stuff going on that it would really pop against a simple, dark background with good lighting.

Hey Scott,

Thanks for the input that's one of thoughts things you don' think of until someone tells you, so thanks! A photographer I'm not but I will definitely consider that in the future!!

Kip