seax in the rain

IMG_9878_zps1f46d71f.jpg

It was starting to rain, but I managed to photograph these before they go to their new homes...

From the top, first up is a 'mini-seax' in shear steel and horn with a 3 1/2" blade, about 7 3/8" overall.

In the middle is one of my experiments in wolf's teeth from last fall, made of wrought iron, 1095 edge, and bog oak for the handle, with a 6 1/2" blade, about 12 1/2" overall.

Last up is a patternwelded blade (wrought iron, 1084/15n20 twist, w2 edge) with a walnut burl handle. Blade is about 7 5/8" long, just under 14 inches overall. This one has a bit of an auto-hamon.

Here they are in their sheaths:

IMG_9876_zps4357fc43.jpg

Next up will be the broadsax... thanks for looking.

Nice work George, I like the one with the bog oak the most, great looking sheaths too I really like Celtic artwork.

Nice job as always, George. I really like those sheaths.

I agree with everyone else. The blades look good and the sheaths are very nice. you have gotten this style down.

kc

Very nice. I'm especially impressed with the clean lines of your leatherwork - are you doing it with the leather around the knife, or flat beforehand and then wrapping around the knife?

Thanks guys!

Very nice. I'm especially impressed with the clean lines of your leatherwork - are you doing it with the leather around the knife, or flat beforehand and then wrapping around the knife?

Berry, I wet-form the leather to the knife (knife wrapped in plastic wrap and taped to protect it from the moisture) and let it dry overnight or longer, then do the embossing wetting the leather with a sponge as I go.... all with the knife in the sheath. These brokebacks require some extensive stretching and manipulating of the leather to fit the knife, so this method seems like the best approach... I wish I'd had time/budget to do some engraving and punch-work on the metal fittings, your war knife really showed me the decorative potential of the punch...:) Next time...

Awesome work big guy!!! I'm fond of the middle one, Your leather work is amazing!!!

Kip

Edited by Kip Kaiser

Thanks George. I've been doing the same basic method for the leather, but I was doing the embossing while the leather was wet from forming. I'm thinking letting it dry first and then selectively rewetting like you do may be a better way.