Blade by Owen Bush, Fittings by Ben Potter

wolfseax-1.jpg

wolfseax-2.jpg

wolfseax-7.jpg

gripcomposite-2.jpg

Edited by Ben Potter

Nice carvings Ben! Looks good all round, Owen's blade has been done fair justice there! Well done both!

Nice job Ben and Owen.

Your carving is awesome, I know first hand how hard it is to carve those little scrolls, well done.

Ben- You are back! I feel almost like I am meeting an old friend again. It is good to see you posting stuff. You know I have always loved your work, and also your attitude and approach to the work. Great to see you. Hope you have time and energy for more! Your work is usually contagious, in that it causes others to want to try some of the same principles/techniques.

kc

Thanks for the kind words.

First things first, The fittings are copper, the grip is bloodwood with a bone bolster, and the scabbard is leather hardened with hot beeswax on the outside and lined with barktanned shearling on the inside.

I have been pretty busy with other pursuits for the last year and a half, but finally am back at the forge. Lord willing I'll have some more things to post in not too long.

Good to see you back at it man! I am particularly impressed with the sheath... how is the copper attached to the leather?

Thanks for all the kind words.

George, the copper is attached by thining the leather at teh edge, carving a grove along the edge on the flesh side(very imprtant) then glueing the two sides together, then carefully crimping the copper into the groove. If it is done right you have to tear the leather or cut the copper to get it off. It took me two tries on this one, the first one I learned to glue the sides together so that they go in evenly, my Wife suggested it and it makes all the difference.

Very nice work, thanks for the tip on the sheath I wondered how that was done.

Nice Job Ben .

Its always great to see what Other people end up doing with one of my blades.

what is the bottom piece? I particularly like the carving on that.

All the best Owen

Thanks Owen.

The bottom picture is a composit of the grip to show all the carving at once.