owen bush

Scythe making

does anybody have any links to sites or videos of scythe making?

I have a job possibility at short notice and am in a hurry to get more of a clue.

All the best Owen

I have access to Swedish information with a lot of pictures of the forging process. Send me a private message with your email address if you need it.

//DQ

Best video that I know of is this one, albiet it's a semi modern production line shop, but they use all manner of tools from a giant old drop helve to air hammers to punch presses.

Funnily enough I was talking about scythes at your place at the weekend. I've wanted to try use one for a while and find it frustrating that my wife's work has 20 or so hanging on a wall.

I've also been trying to find out why scythes work better when peened after sharpening - I'm wondering if its just the grade of the steel?

Sadly no forging info for you though...

@ stewart I think that the reason they do the peening, is to work harden the iron, then sharpening is done, if at all.

All the old scythes that I've been around (admittedly only a dozen or so) were just wrought iron for the whole thing, no hardened edge of any sort, no steel.

great video there.

you seen this one owen?

these are composite construction and quenched.

As I was watching the one video, youtube kindly suggested this one

I Love where this thread is going. these old films are so cool.

the book "The art of traditional Blacksmithing" by Håvard Bergland (should be at the local library(?)) has a little part for scythemaking the scandinavian way. Its a great book anyways though he does talk a fair bit of historical, cultural things too. But it gives a basic intro to how they are made. Both techniques for handhammering and machine. It should at least give you a nice clue of how it has been done.

I can find a copy on amazon at $57 but can't find it on the UK site??? http://www.amazon.com/The-Traditional-Blacksmithing-H%C3%A5vard-Bargland/dp/1936013010

Andrew

Think its a thru american publicing.. But yea, its a pricy one. So maybe check with a library. But then again some of it (hopefully) goes to a very deserving smith.

(sorry for hijacking the thread a bit Owen)

Has the book been translated to English?

I had it confused with the Swedish "Klassiskt Jarnsmide"