JF-Knives

New here, from the Netherlands...

Hello,

I'm new here on this forum and I could not find a topic to introduce myself.

I'm Joost from the Netherlands (51 year old) and I started making knives almost 8 months ago. I never made something from metal in my life. I was a furniture maker when I was young, now I'm a ICT manager, how strange can it be...

I make knives from stock metal. I hope that its allowed here on this forum, otherwise I will hear it soon I think.

If you like I will post some pictures from my first attempts of making knives...

w.b.r.

Joost

Now I saw where I must post this topic, please mod. place this topic in the right place... It was very early when I placed this post...

Tnx, I will tell the short version of my knife making career.

I started making knives (sept. 2013) for fun and to do something with my spare time.

First, I used construction steel from the home depot to test my skills in knife making.

With that steel I made two knives. They are not heat-treated, so they are pure for testing my skills.

All tools I used are a angle-grinder, a drill-press and a file, and a lot of sandpaper. I made the micarta from a denim pants.

Here some pictures of the first attempts.

_DSC4653_zpse7d07e01.jpg

_DSC4647_zps68e65d27.jpg

IMG_1034_zps1c184cc9.jpg

IMG_1029_zpsc5201247.jpg

This wil be my second knife, also made from construction steel and nog heat-treated.

Here I used a brass spacer and again I made the micarta myself.

_DSC4659_zps04caf6e5.jpg

IMG_1243_zpsd98e5fbd.jpg

IMG_1253_zps3e3bd44f.jpg

_DSC4663_zpsa9f4d67e.jpg

I know, they are a crap, but they were only to for testing purposes.

Greetings, Joost

Then I started making knives from O1 steel, I was inspired by some movie knives and I decided to make myself a replica of the famous Bad-Ass knife from the movie "Cobra" (with Silvester Stallone)

This is the result. (I still had the tool I mentioned before, with the addition of a cheap belt sander. (actually for wood)

5mm thick O1 steel, heat-treated, 305mm long, home made micarta handle with red micarta spacers.

_DSC4700_zps5251dd48.jpg

_DSC4699_zpsef67e822.jpg

_DSC4686_zps211e6323.jpg

IMG_1358_zpsf03b1d1c.jpg

_DSC4703_zps345e05ed.jpg

Because I was so busy right now, I made a replica of the Rambo III knife (made by Gil Hibben)

5mm O1 steel, heat-treated, 405mm length, brass guard, pins and pommel, walnut handle

81af24bb88ef2432a84b416736c0d193_zpsd286

4dfdd9fc908392e81234614f9c727e6e_zpsdd1e

b0b33816b7799e384830c3fda89409b8_zpse7d0

4826912fc5f2f275608417262cde7b75_zpsec10

greetings, Joost

Then I decided to design my own knife.
This was the result.
3mm O1 steel, heat-treated, some filework on the spine and a lot of brass work, maple-walnut-brass handle, mosaic pin (self made).

_DSC4750_zps7e0fa977.jpg

_DSC4752_zpsfe62dbb7.jpg

_DSC4758_zpseac9e993.jpg

_DSC4754_zps14c7e277.jpg

It look a little like a Persian dagger.

Greetings, Joost

After this knife it was time to do a very big project, some of that later.

Edited by JF-Knives

Wow. That last one I really like! You need to design knives more often! And were you the one who just welcomed me onto the Dutch forum?

Wow. That last one I really like! You need to design knives more often! And were you the one who just welcomed me onto the Dutch forum?

Yes it was me...

Edited by JF-Knives

You do good work and I also like that last one. The vine pattern on the spine is excellent. The knife with the spikes on the guard is well made complex design but it could cause a little trouble here in the States-at least several of them.

Doug

Tnx for the complements,

After the last knife, the one I designed myself, I started with a Katana. I worked on the Katana for 3 months, and I made everything myself including the sharks in the handle, the Katana-bag, the Tsuba, the Habaki, the stand and the Saya.

This Katana was a test to see if I had the skills to accomplish this project. I know there are some errors in this Katana but I'm learning from my mistakes.

Some pictures.

_DSC4767_zpsced42616.jpg

_DSC4769_zps965493b7.jpg

_DSC4779_zps620d3960.jpg

_DSC4782_zps2b3c35d4.jpg

_DSC4795_zps2d7e4227.jpg

IMG_2285_zps7ed18d3a.jpg

a70030cfc7b3b26ac3a770b9b7788667_zps3950

W.b.r.

Joost

Edited by JF-Knives

Welcome Joost! Some nice work there! I too like the little knife you designed, Excelent work on that composite handle!

Welcome to the forum, Joost! No problem posting stock removal blades. While most of our members forge, it's not an exclusive club. We have a wide variety of members with varying skills and talents.

NIce work! Looks like you've achieved good control on your grind lines, which is a skill that takes some a long time to achieve.

You'll find the members are really friendly on this forum and generous with their advice. Like all forums, our request is that before asking a question/advice, you search the archives and see if it's already been asked.

Our search engine is't really the best, but if you go to google and type:

site:bladesmithsforum.com "your search words here"

You get excellent results.

Luck in the quest!

Dave

Ha! Thanks Dave! I've been struggling a bit myself there!