• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
pieter-pauld

keris KITH

hello everyone,

for this years kith i decide to make a keris.

at first i was not planning to do a wip but when i had to start over again, i decided to make a WIP thread anyway.

the first blade i made was a straight keris, based on medieval keris, the keris of knaud in particular.

it was almost done, i just had to glue on the handle, when i noticed a slight warp in the blade.

i wanted to fix this, butin doing so i snapped the blade in half.

this wasn't all bad, because this way i could see that my cross section was good, but my grain size way to big and that i had to alter my hardening process.

pictures of the broken blade:

IMG-20140525-00194_zps1839c629.jpg

IMG-20140525-00193_zps6ba633ae.jpg

IMG-20140525-00195_zps2b2f259c.jpg

i have now started on blade number two.

it will be a wavy blade type keris, because i think there is no fun in making the same knife twice.

lets hope this one survives :unsure:

and now come a lot of pictures:

i didn't take pictures of the first forging fase, because my camera/phone was empty that day.

how it looked after the first forging session, the blade lies on a piece of the parent bar, so you can see how i had to upset part of the blade to get to the desired width

IMG-20140519-00181_zps14effa63.jpg

i then rough ground the blade with an angle grinder to prepare it for the second forging session, where the waves are put in.

remember to always wear safety gear when grinding large amounts of steel

IMG-20140519-00182_zps48cea596.jpg

IMG-20140519-00183_zpsbbee112d.jpg

the blade after rough grinding, now with pretty colours, and ready for more forging.

IMG-20140519-00184_zpsc7abcabf.jpg

my forge:

IMG-20140519-00188_zpsaa9cca80.jpg

first bend:

IMG-20140519-00190_zpsf58e6e2a.jpg

done with bending:

IMG-20140519-00191_zpsf5f01090.jpg

finished forging, normally i would forge in the bevels, but with a blade shape this complex, i will file them in to prevent my blade from becoming too wobbly

IMG-20140519-00192_zps226c8fc5.jpg

filing:

IMG-20140519-00197_zps1be73af7.jpg

rough ground blade, ready for the designing of bevels and fullers:

IMG-20140519-00198_zps8d284964.jpg

more updates will come as i continue working on the blade

Not necessarily my cup of tea, so to speak! However I got to appreciate anyone who will take on such a challenge. That one is going to be a be-ot-ch to grind out the profile! I would like to see some pics of that process! Waiting for updates. Two thumbs up!!!!

Edited by C Craft

And how are you planning to sharpen? Dit blade ik heb een goede verwachting op.

i think i will grind the bevels in with an angle grinder with a flap wheel, because my belt grinder doesn't work on tight corners like this.

then i will refine and flatten these bevels with files and sandpaper.

i think i will sharpen the blade using sandpaper, and a small whetstone,wich i can drag along the curves.

also if this turns out to be impossible, i will just start a new, more simple knife.

i jut like the challenge and making something unusual

That first was such a beautiful blade shape, so sad it died.... but you can learn a lot from a broken blade, and this new one will be better. It looks like some normalizing/thermal cycling would have helped the first blade tremendously, or perhaps it was quenched from too high a temperature.

I don't envy you, I've often pondered how I'd go about making a proper kris and no simple solution has come to mind.... I wish you the best of luck with this challenge.

What changes did you make to your heat treatment? How are you monitoring your temps?

That really sucks about the first knife breaking. :( That same exact story happened to me earlier this year. Broke an almost done knife straightening a warp. But I have to say, if you can pull off the kris, then I think the breaking was a "good" thing; it pushed you to do something more challenging and potentially more rewarding.

the problem with the first blade was that i quenched it at too high a temperature.

i recently installed some new lighting in my workshop, and i thought i could turst my eyes, and didn't have to check with a magnet <_<

i hope i can pull this off, but otherwise, ..... i still have enough steel :P

today i had some time and made the rough bevels and the rough fullers.

i marked the fullers and the centerline:

IMG-20140529-00196_zps2c25dfc8.jpg

first i ground out the fullers with a worn down disc on my angle grinder, i always use a worn down one, because they remove not as much material and are more precise and easier to control.

but still, this is still a bit scary.

the disc:

IMG-20140529-00198_zps218fad35.jpg

ground in fullers:

IMG-20140529-00197_zps42e4846c.jpg

then i switched to a flap disc, because they ere better controlable than the solid discs. ona more normal knife i would use my belt grinder, but for following the curves the angle grinder is in this case better.

after the flap grinding:

IMG-20140529-00200_zpsa3549e52.jpg

then i moved to hand tools, and picked up my sen, because i love the speed whit which it removes material.

IMG-20140529-00204_zpsa9441253.jpg

after use of the sen, now it is time for filing, but that will come another day.

IMG-20140529-00205_zps8fe6e82a.jpg

Excellent symmetry! That is what I was most curious to see; how well you maintained symmetry on the bevels. Looks like you nailed it ^_^

more progress on my KITH, i didn't take as much pictures this time, but i have a little to show anyway.

since my last post I filed the blade to about a mm of edge thickness and made my bevels nice and flat.

then i forged out the rough shape of the guard, and hot drifted it to fit the tang. After that filed and ground the guard to a more refined shape.

after that I hardened the blade in oil, and tempered to a nice even blue, because i dont want't anymore breaking blades to happen :wacko: .

the hardening itself was quite stressful: First the blade was warping all kinds of nasty ways when normmalizing, so I had a hard time getting it reasonably straight.

after that I forgot to wear gloves when quenching, so the flames burned the hair of my hands, causing me to drop both the blade and the tongs holding it into my 30 inch quench tub filled with hot oil :blink:

I thought i had lost my blade, and cursed myself for not wearing gloves, but all i could do now was to wait untill the oil was cooled so i could fish out the blade.

as by a miracle the blade was still in one piece, seemed to have hardened along its entire lenght and it was even straighter then before the quench. :o

of course i generously thanked my shop trolls after this :D .

now i have a question for you all, because i am running into a problem:

wat is the best way to get rid of the last mm of edge thickness?

normally i would grind this on my beltsander, but it doesn't reach into the curves.

i am a little hesitant to use my angle grinder, because i fear of ruining the bevels.

is hand sanding it with the sandpaper really the only way, or is there a better way?

the pictures are not too good, because they were taken with my phone in the rain.

29062014554_zpsdb04f46e.jpg

29062014553_zps2a071929.jpg

The only suggestion I have for your remaining MM to remove, is perhaps, draw filing? I could be very wrong here, and would encourage any thoughts on this.

The way I'd go is to use a rounded bastard, and just try and keep everything as even as possible. It means switching sides often, and plenty on monotony, but that's what spare time is good for, right?

Yeah, draw filing should be fairly easy since you tempered it back to blue. Another option would be to split a belt down to an inch or less wide.

awesome looking blade man.

thanks for the reply's, and the compliment

i never knew one could file a hardened blade, it will make my life much easier, so thanks for the tip.

a split belt will maybe also be useful for some other things so i will try that too.

reply's like this make me love this forum ^_^

hello everyone,

The blade is now done, all I have left to do now is the scabbard.

I was able to re-use the handle of the broken blade, meaning that I only had to finish sanding it. I also gave it a bit of heat coloring to make it look less boring.

i recently bought some industrial epoxy, and this knife was the first time i used that, needless to say I love it, the keris feels very solid now and makes me wonder why i didn't buy epoxy earlier.

the blade is not as sharp as I would normally like, but it was impossible to sharpen on my waterstones. however it seems to stab very nicely and handles like a devasting close combat or ritual knife

besides, I believe that original keris were not really sharp themselves, having a mostly ritual use.

without further delay I present the pictures,

I must say i am quite proud of myself, even if there are points i would do differently.

DSC_00334_zps8f86c77a.jpg

DSC_00344_zps3a3734fa.jpg

DSC_00354_zps2f295641.jpg

DSC_00463_zps8335f24b.jpg

DSC_00283_zps3f67d11f.jpg

DSC_00324_zps01a062bd.jpg

Well done! Came out neat, can't wait to see all finished work!

Man that thing is wicked, in a good way...:)

This reminds me I need to get started! Time is ticking away.