Josh A Weston

Mammen Inspired Seax

Here's one I've been working on recently. I am thinking about also working on a sheath for this out of leather with copper decorations. We'll see how that turns out. But I'm pretty happy with the seax.

I'm including a few finished shots with more process shots here:

tumblr_n59exeHQ2t1qz9mvno1_400.jpgtumblr_n59exeHQ2t1qz9mvno4_400.jpg

tumblr_n59exeHQ2t1qz9mvno5_400.jpg

http://rashystreakers.tumblr.com/tagged/mammen%20seax

The carving was fun. I feel like I am getting better at that. I have also now successfully heat treated several blades on my own now (saving me the time and cost of taking it somewhere). I feel particularly good about that as the whole process belongs to me. Somehow I feel more legitimate for being able to finish out my whole build.

Would love you thoughts!

Edited by Josh A Weston

I dig it. The carving is great, and I love the copper bolster(not sure what else to call it). Glad you are able to heat treat your own blades now? Are you doing it in your forge?

That looks great, nice carving! It must be satisfying for you to complete everything yourself...well done!

Wes,

I am doing the heat treat in my own forge now. I had to make some modifications to it and have had to experiment with charcoal in it during heat treat to keep the oxygen out of it. Seems to be working okay.

Wonderful work Josh!

Wes,

I am doing the heat treat in my own forge now. I had to make some modifications to it and have had to experiment with charcoal in it during heat treat to keep the oxygen out of it. Seems to be working okay.

Are you worried about scaling? I use a propane forge with a reducing atmosphere, and then have a 4 inch square tube the knife sits in to protect it from the direct flame. I have done it with a few knives, but I also apply a very very thin coat of refractory clay to the knife so it doesn't scale. I know that some people will use anti-scaling compound...

I suggest using a thermocouple as well. I have one, and it is one of the best things I have bought yet.

josh - that is some serious carving. I think you are moving along nicely. cool stuff, for sure.

kc

Wes, thanks for the tips. I will look into those options.

And once again, thanks for all the positive feedback. It keeps me going!

I especially dig it with the sheath, very cool seax.