Question on blade material

I am looking to purchase a folder as a gift for my father, but I am not sure about blade materials. Likely like most folks, I enjoy the look of damascus. The problem comes from the fact that it would be used on an almost daily basis for things like scraping finger nails and dead skin from elbows. Is the chance of the tip on damascus breaking any higher than on a stainless? I really want something I enjoy the look of, but believe a blade should suit the purpose it was designed for. Any advice?

I use a Damascus fixed blade EDC for everything, fingernails, scraping the insulation off wire, cutting the ties off hay bales, marking wood and non-ferris metals. And that's just today. A well made PW blade is as good as anything else.

Geoff

+1 on what Geoff said! If using with acidic things like citrus fruit,tomatos etc apply a coat of good quality acrylic auto polish, 'diamond guard' or similar, this will keep the blade from marking and prevent rust, I detest stainless as I find it too brittle, and it doesn't keep an edgE as well as carbon / pw steel!

Damascus is as good as the steels used to make it. Much of the damascus made in Asia, but not all, is made from leaf-springs (if you're lucky), car hoods, or other questionable sources (whatever is available). I would suggest being aware of where the steel is made, and if possible what metals are used to make it when deciding which knife to buy.

• 1 month later...

I have been making knives for 20 plus years. Have used about every metal, every alphabet you can mis-spell. Get requests almost daily for the latest-greatest. At one of the knife shows I laid out knives, exact same outline, thickness, sandblasted. A bin of rope, cord, cardboard, paper, a couple old sneakers. Also had a couple stones and an EdgePro. Go at it, which one cuts ? Had 1095, 440C, 154CPM, ELMAX, s35NV and M390. The winner ? 1095. The others were a jumble with no clear winner. Actually, many liked the 440C.

The real secret is the HT and stabilization. We HT atmospheric, cryo and triple temper. Right now we HT our folder blades, then grind hard. Best way to compensate for warpage, twist, etc. Our hunters are HT at about 90% grind, then we fine tune hard. Mostly with stones / water.

OH well, back to work. Thank you for looking. Jim