Anybody have some meteorite advice?

Hi folks. I'm not exactly a beginner, but new here though I've been lurking for awhile. I've been forging blades since about 2000. Just starting to get into doing some damascus the last few years. I picked up a meteorite yesterday and would like to try and incorporate some of it into some damascus. It has enough iron in it that a magnet sticks to it, but thats about all I know about it.

So anyone have any thoughts, advice etc on what I have to do to get from space rock to something I can incorporate into a billet?

Thanks,

Ed

I've just had one meteorite experience and it ended badly. My rock was also magnetic. It crumbled at the first touch of a hammer. Apparently there are lots of ferrous meteors but only some have sufficient ferrous content to forge into a blade.

I read a lot about how to forge meteor before my failure. The basic idea is to get it to welding heat, flux it, and very . . . VERY, lightly tap it with the hammer to consolidate it. I read that you should only work it at yellow welding heat and very gently until it's solid and you've driven out the impurities. Kind of like working a really crappy bloom.

I'm sure others have better advice than this, but this is what I recall from my research.

Luck!

Dave

I know nothing about this but was intrigued by the concept. I wonder if you could crush it into a fine powder, place it on a jar of oil (water might make it rust) , tape a magnet to the side of the jar and shake it up. That may be a way to separate the iron from the rest.

Ed,

I have done a few meteorite Damascus blades over the years but haven't used the Mantan variety. Others that I know have without much success saying that was nearly impossible to get to weld. Knowing this I believe that I would either trade it for some "Campo" or try to work it in a can.

All meteorites tend to be quite red short. The way that I get around that is to slice them & place the slice between two pieces of high carbon steel and weld the three solid before trying to do any drawing. I would suggest that you use a steel with enough carbon to be able to sacrifice some as the meteorite has none and there will be a lot of migration. Also use 3-4 times the amount of steel as meteorite for the same reason. You want to end up with a billet with no less than .7% carbon when done.

If you have success then you will get a billet with excellent contrast as the meteorites usually have 8-10% nickel.

meteoritefighter_zps3bb37baa.jpg

Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

Gary

Edited by Gary Mulkey

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to cut some slices off of it and see what it looks like before I try anything else. I'll post about what happens.

Thanks again.

Ed