Processing meteoric iron?

Hi guys. I"m new here but have been forging blades since 2000. Been slowly getting into pattern welded steel the last few years and one thing I've always wanted to try is incorporating meteoric iron into some pattern welded steel. Last night I happened to stumble on some meteors at a gift shop in the mall of all places. Its got enough iron in it that a magnet sticks to it, thats about all I know about it. Its a little smaller than my fist and supposedly comes from China.

Any thoughts on what I need to do to get from "space rock" to something I can include in some pattern welded steel? Any advice is welcome and greatly appreciated.

Ed

The Campo that I've worked is a pure iron (well there's nickle and other elements as well, but it's all metal) meteorite. Some of the iron meteorites are a stony iron, so I'm not sure how to go about those. Trying to forge it straight into a form can be a test of character, it's crumbly and has no carbon, work it very hot. What I've started doing is to get the material you mix it with, using it as a paddle and placing the meteorite on it, then forge welding it to it, begin folding then and the other material will hold it together very well. Clear as mud? Best of luck.

Zeb

I've made a few with meteorite & 1084. I have always used the Campo de Cielo meteorite. I know others that have tried the Chinese meteorite and have found that it nearly impossible to get to weld. All meteorites tend to be red short but that can be worked around. Some like the Chinese variety are more than just iron & nickel and present other problems.

Sorry to rain on your parade but you have your work cut out for you. Were I you, I believe that I would try it in a can, weld extra hot and see how things work out.

Gary

If it is from the Nantan fall, it's usually pretty crappy stuff indeed. Most of it is just high-nickel rust, in fact. There are some pieces of it that are still metallic and show the Widmanstätten pattern when etched, but if you have one of those you don't want to waste it by forging, it's worth more as a meteorite fragment. Be aware some of the rust-chunk Nantan pieces have been stabilized by soaking them in a plastic resin under vacuum to keep them from disintigrating. If you have one of those the resin will burn out at heat, possibly being dangerous if you try to weld it in a can. Just something to be aware of as a possibility.

I have a few grams of the rusty stuff I will use in a smelt someday. Got it from a guy who had a 20-lb chunk that fell apart into 20 pounds of rust last year.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think before I try anything heat related, I'll try and cut it up some w/a chop saw and see what it looks like inside. I'm only into this thing for 20.00, so my hopes aren't high that its very good. Course there's a lot of freedom in only being amble to screw up 20.00 worth of rock ;-)