So, remember the picture I posted a while back of the piece I was working on that I was likely going to send to the YouTuber Skallagrim? Turns out, that will not be the one I send. I got a design from him yesterday, and will begin work on it soon. I will post pictures as I progress with it.custom knife.jpg

So I finally got out in the forge yesterday and got pretty close to the final rough shape. Another hour or so of forging probably before it's ready to go to the grinder. As it stands, the overall length is just shy of 17", so I need to lengthen it a little more.

DSCF3629.jpg

Got out to the forge again today and finished the rough forging. Got a start on the profile grinding as well as smoothing the flats. The overall length now stands at just shy of 18", and that's going to be the final length. The blade is just over 11", but it'll get a bit shorter when I true up the tang. Sorry for the lack of actual progress pictures, but I don't have anyone to take pictures while I work. Should get pretty close to finishing the grinding next session.

DSCF3631.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the long delay, but I finally got some more pictures taken. As it is now, the only thing left that needs to be done for the blade is heat treatment. That, unfortunately, is going to be a while because I have to build a forge long enough to handle the knife. That'll be fairly easy, I just have to get around to it. I hope to have this done and out the door in the next week or two. In the meantime, I'm starting on the guard and pommel, which for weight reasons have been changed to steel. The distal taper is very fine on this blade, going from approximately 3/16" at the base of the blade to ~1mm one inch from the tip. As such, the POB is just over 2" from the base of the blade. Blade length is 11", overall length is 17.5", probably right at 17" finished. Pictures below:

DSCF3645.JPG

DSCF3643.JPG

DSCF3641.JPG

DSCF3642.JPG

It is, for sure. Like I said, it's almost done, the blade more or less is. I think I'm going to do some drawfiling to smooth everything out, and then it's into the forge for heat treat. I forgot to mention that I'm going to do a full quench in peanut oil (since it has to go in the family oven) and then a few cycles at 450F.

I'd go a bit lower than 450, say 400 for one hour, (test with the same file used to check hardness) then decide on the next cycle, maybe 350 for 1/2 hour, test, and so on, if you over temper it the first time...well it just causes you to reharden and start tempering again, a waste of time and energy! Best of luck with the quench!

Thanks, Miles, I'll keep that in mind. 450F was what I had originally intended because with this one I'm looking for a really tough blade, somewhere around 45-50 RC. I'm using Admiral 1095, what would be the best temperature for that?

• 2 weeks later...

Rest assured, things are actually happening here. I didn't get any pictures of the forging of the guard and pommel, unfortunately, and they're off-site at the moment. But I do have one more picture to add. The tang was a little bit thicker than the base of the blade, so I've been working to fix that. Not quite done with that, but I may finish it up within the next week or so. Here's a picture:

10458029_333313243486906_5626890376679075005_n.jpg

look at that milled-tooth file! those are cool as h...heck.

nice blade, too.

Thanks, Kevin. I actually started drawfiling this after I read your gross messer WIP. I have since rediscovered the joy it brings. And yes, I love that file. I found it the other day, and it is BEAST at removing material. I may try making a sen in the near future, but I kind of doubt it will be faster than that file...

SO, finally got some more pics to share. Got the tang thinned to final thickness and the guard slotted. Two problems have arisen with the pommel, one of them completely my fault and the other only mostly my fault. I drilled the holes WAY off center, and that was completely my fault. The other thing is that the pommel is too heavy and would put the POB IN the hand. So, that's only MOSTLY my fault for not planning ahead. It was also a material limitation, of course. But, that problem will be dealt with today, as I'm going to cut out a much thinner, lighter pommel and drill it possibly today but most likely Friday. Anyway, PICTURES!

10513468_339089916242572_3980860778544128411_n.jpg

10541458_339100469574850_1647977351817518561_n.jpg

1900148_339121859572711_4984545350391795445_n.jpg