Broken-Back Seax

Hi everyone,

This is my first post to the forums.

I wanted to show my latest project, it's my second fully complete knife.

OAL is 9.75"

Blade length is 5.75"

It's forged from 1084, and the handle is carved from myrtle wood with an oak spacer and iron pommel.

knife1.jpg

knife2.jpg

knife3.jpg

Good job! One thing to remember on seaxes though is there are absolutely no straight lines on blade profile. Looks really nice other than that though!

Hey that looks great! For a second knife that's something to really be proud of.

I realize this isn't a reproduction, but even for a seax-inspired blade It does look a bit too blocky to me. As suggested, I'd add a bit more angle to the point and a bit of a curve to the cutting edge.

Nice fit and finish, however. Consider using the same material for the bolster and pommel next time.

Welcome! Luck in the quest!

Dave

Hey that looks great! For a second knife that's something to really be proud of.

I realize this isn't a reproduction, but even for a seax-inspired blade It does look a bit too blocky to me. As suggested, I'd add a bit more angle to the point and a bit of a curve to the cutting edge.

Nice fit and finish, however. Consider using the same material for the bolster and pommel next time.

Welcome! Luck in the quest!

Dave

I am in full agreement with Dave. The fit and finish are very nice, but the blade shape... I think it was Piccasso who said you need to learn the rules in order to break them (or maybe it was Dali)... I'd suggest studying seaxes, not reproductions but the original artifacts, find out what make a seax tick, what makes a seax look like a seax. Then you will be able to go in and make it your own, maintaining the unique qualities of a seax yet putting your own individual twist on it. The craftsmanship displayed with this knife is excellent for your second finished piece...