• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
nprovos

Forum Troubles Today

9 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Alan emailed me about the forum no longer working. The cause was a little bit mysterious. The error log of the web site had reached its maximum size. Fixing that fixed the forum. It was just somewhat counter intuitive :)

Niels.

So, what you are saying is that there were too many people logging in? Could it have been a DDOS attack?

No, at the moment, every request generates 7 or so lines of errors logs. Nothing nefarious in play.

Niels.

Thank you Niels. We're really lucky to have you as an admin.

For those of you that don't know, Niels is one of the super-secret, tech demigods of Google that can read our email, crash NSA servers, ruin the credit of their enemies, re-route spy satellites to peer in on what they choose, crash the stock market, etc. Let's all be glad he uses his powers for good (i.e. keeping the forum healthy). (PS -- Don't make him mad!)

Grins,

Dave

Thanks Niels! (Once again!)

Thanks Niels!

I am still getting an error from Chrome when I try to load the forum. Internet Explorer seems to be navigating it fine. I have cleared my cache and cookies from chrome (like it suggested) but am still unable to open the page. Anyone else having this issue? Or have any suggestions on how to fix it?

The error log of the web site had reached its maximum size. Fixing that fixed the forum. It was just somewhat counter intuitive :)

ha, that's funny shit Niels,,,

jm

I am having trouble with this forum myself. Been happening all week. When I go to the page, it sits there for 20-30 seconds before the page loads, at the bottom saying, "waiting for bladesmithsforums..." Every link here in this forum that I click, the same thing. I have to wait about 30 seconds for the page to load. I cleared my cache, history, all of it....but still have the issue. Using firefox, didn't have the problem before last week....and no other problems with any other sites. Just FYI. Thanks.

Ok...disregard all of that. I "logged in" with my username and password....all back to normal. Clicking links open pages instantly. Interesting........

Edited by stuart davenport