I like the hammer from GS Tongs. Very nice Japanese style hammer. Also my second favorite hammer is a 1000g Swedish hammer I got from Blacksmith Depot . com.

After nearly 3 years I have collect over a dozen hammers and still have a couple on my want list.

I have quite a few from blacksmiths depot and all of them are great. My main is a 1kg Swedish pattern, but I also have a 2kg Nordic that works great but the handle is a little shorter than I thought it would be. The scything hammers are excellent for fine tuning thin things and hammering out a final edge because the face is so small.

Of course, you can not go wrong with one of Sam Salvati's hammers. The forward weight is awesome, and I think he even has some available right now if you act fast.

John

I really like a hammer a co worker picked up for me at a flee market when he was in the Ukraine... it's one of the old Soviet Union styles! He's headed back in a month or so and hoping he can find me a couple more sizes!

Super Admin guy Sam Salvati has some hammers for sale. He just posted them on the forum a few days ago. You can buy hammers anywhere, but I think it would be a good thing to support our fellow members.

I didn't mention Sam's hammers because he posted they are all gone. His is one my on my want list. I would like a squared off dog faced hammer in my collection. Waiting for him to announce his next run. Hope to be able to purchase one then.

http://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?showtopic=29652#entry285325

Edited by GBrackett

Didn't see that, George. I suppose that's a testament to how good they are! I don't think I have ever seen them for sale longer than a week before the last of them are grabbed up B)

I like the Hofi style hammer myself. Though I am looking forward to one of Sam's hammers. Big Blu makes really good Hofi's.

I'm sure Sam will be making more. In the mean time get a 1000g one from Blacksmith Depot. You will buy more as you progress on this journey. I just saw Tai Goo's main hammer in a DVD from 2010, I now have another one I want to try. LOL

I've always liked Hammer Source for needs. Good prices, great service, large selection (only company sellng a 1250 gram German hammer) always USA or proper wage country made (Never China or Pakistan) When I want the very best, I go to Brent Bailey. If you've never visited his web site, be prepared to drool like a kid in a candy store.

http://www.hammersource.com/

http://brentbaileyforge.com/

Edited by Gerald Boggs

Just for reference (and just because I wanted to show it off :ph34r: ), here is the doghead hammer that Glen from GS Tongs makes. 2.75lbs. Got it in the mail today.

14268576628_59dbcda51d_c.jpg

14453819492_b7853c810a_c.jpg

Edited by Wes Detrick

Glen makes a really nice hammer. Took me a couple of weeks to get use to it. It's one of my favorite hammers and mine lives in the rack next to my anvil. Very nice tool you got.

Enjoy it!

• 2 weeks later...

Good choices! My nordic has served me well. When you are next in the market for a hammer, get a ~1lb ball peen hammer. I use one quite a bit for small work and some hammer polishing. Also, pick up a sledge of at least 4lbs. Handy when you need to move metal fast.

Edited by Wes Detrick