Hi everyone, looking for a bit of help. 2nd opinion on anvil ID? I think its a fisher but wanted to ask. cast with 3/4 inch top plate and plated horn if that helps. logo has been worn down, probably sanded. it had 3 layers of paint. eagle appears to be on both sides, holding what i think is 2 arrows and something on the other side. there also appears to be alot of casted words above each logo right below the top plate but somebody did a good job sanding that down a long time ago..would anyone have an idea of when they used that logo along with this type of base? I should invest in the anvils in america book.. thanks for looking.fa1.jpgfa2.jpgfa3.jpg

The 2 arrows rings a bell, Arm and Hammer, maybe. A Fisher would normally have a number cast into the foot. Any idea of the weight? The top looks pretty thin to me, and the step is shallow, making me think the top has been ground way down. Have you tried a rebound test yet? That will give you the most information. If the rebound is fair, then there is some life left in her. If the rebound is bad, I'd have to walk away. Of course I can say that, I have, uh, several anvils.

Geoff

I do have the book, and I must say it looks like very early Fisher. It may have had the face ground down, but the pre-1880-ish ones had a pretty low step to begin with. The "arrows" are what's left of the flukes of the anchor the eagle is holding.

The company began in the middle of the 1840s, and they didn't start to look like what we normally think of as Fisher anvils until a redesign in 1882, when the lugs were added to the feet. I can't find a picture or description of under the base on the early ones, so that doesn't help. I also can't find much in the way of lettering around the eagle. The raised lettering is usually on the front foot or on top of the front foot.

Thanks so much for checking it out. The base kind of threw me off how rounded and smooth it is, almost like a vulcan but as I read around I see sometimes they used what they had or had pre made bases supplied.. Anyway it weighs 75lbs the rebound is well above 80% ( ball bearing dropped from 10inches is method I used ) and I paid 70$ for the anvil with a couple hardy tools. I just like their history and like to know what it really is I've got. :D

Dunno if it is taboo to send people to other boards, but you might want to post this over on iforgeiron. One of the guys there runs the fisher museum. If anyone can tell you for sure if that is a fisher...

Not taboo at all. We are here to share the knowledge, and that often means sending folks to where it happens to be! B)