Just to keep the latest trend for resurgence of the Japanese style blade on the forum...

W2 steel katana. Nagasa is 27.5 inches. All the fittings were made of copper which was patinated using the niage technique. The tsuba is iron with a sukashi design. The saya is poplar with many layers of lacquer. The koiguchi has been reinforced with a copper ring to prevent the saya from splitting during noto and to ensure a tighter fit to the habaki less likely to be affected by environmental changes or movement of the wood given the restriction created by the metal.

On to the pictures.

00.jpg

01.jpg

02.jpg

10.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

My stars! That's just stunning in every way... I makes me wonder just what the ancient smiths might have given us had they had access to materials like these steels we use today. Happily, we can have some idea at least from viewing work like this.

Beautiful everything Jesus! That kinda looks like Mt Rainier on the tsuba... I love it, and I love the patination on the tsuba and fittings; such a nice caramel color.

I will add my praise to the above, really lovely work.

so much to see....." ghost ocean storm"

I really like the fittings as well.

its fine fine work.

Thank you guys. I will add this other picture of the saya as it did not show well that it is made of two tones.

11.jpg

And after posting the image still does not show that well. Oh well.

Edited by Jesus Hernandez

Another superb package Jesus. Lovely touch on the engraving. If you keep improving like this we'll have to send out the knuckle-breakers!

Jesus, this is another great one. I am always impressed by the art and the craft.

Thanks.

You are too kind, Jim. the engraving was very simple and very crude. I simply matched my skills to what I wanted to accomplish.

Zeb, unfortunately this was not my own iron. I had to balance the budget for the client.

JD, I wonder too what the smiths of those times would have done. Having looking at many antiques, I am amazed at how unskillful we are compared to them and more so when we consider the tools that were available to them.

Jesus!

I love the title to your post!! Another Katana, I hope some day to be able to be so nonshalant about such an amazing piece!!! Your work inspires and humbles!!! Thanks for sharing!!

Kip

"You are too kind, Jim. the engraving was very simple and very crude. I simply matched my skills to what I wanted to accomplish."

OK , so I've called off the knuckle-breakers, but it should be said, and not overly kind, that a few well chosen, well executed engraved lines can be very effective. There is a kind of genius at play in recognizing limits and working to the maximum effect within them.

Edited by Jim Kelso

"You are too kind, Jim. the engraving was very simple and very crude. I simply matched my skills to what I wanted to accomplish."

OK , so I've called off the knuckle-breakers, but it should be said, and not overly kindly, that a few well chosen, well executed engraved lines can be very effective. There is a kind of genius at play in recognizing limits and working to the maximum effect within them.

Phew! I'm glad to keep my finger in working order other than the damage I do to them myself.

I have a correction. I previously said that the fittings were copper but they are not! They are a low silver-copper alloy. That's why the patina color is a bit different.