Russian Warknife?

Ondřej Borský

One gentleman liked a warknife I made some time ago, and asked for something similar, but with a blade shape he would provide. Also, he requested the knife to have some Christian motif. So, this is what I came up with. It´s blunt and meant for reenacting, made of springsteel hardened and tempered to 52HRc, and for the handle I used antler, beechwood and goatskin. I carved a praying figure from a cross pendant found somewhere in Kyev Rus. Here are the pictures of the knife and a few pictures showing the proces of the carving. I dislike the wood butt on the leather wrapped seax handles, and so I added the carved "pommel"

Oh, and the beams are for my new smithing shelter.

IMG_0064 (1280x960).jpg

IMG_0066 (1280x960).jpg

IMG_0067 (1280x960).jpg

IMG_0069 (1280x960).jpg

And here is the "pommel":

IMG_0039 (1280x960).jpg

IMG_0040 (1280x960).jpg

IMG_0041 (1280x960).jpg

IMG_0052 (1280x960).jpg

IMG_0053 (1280x960).jpg

Amazing! It has a great shape to it. Very nice work!

“If you trust in yourself. . . believe in your dreams. . . and follow your star. . . you will still get beaten by the people who have spent their time working hard and learning things, the people who weren't so lazy.” ~ Terry Pratchett

Thanks! Alan - I have found this ring dot motif on quite a lot of easter artifacts of the 9-10th century... not to say I haven´t seen it in western art either, just that the easter uses it (in my opinion) a lot more. And so I thought it might add to the "easterness" of the piece...

:) For the ring-dots I have a special tool, it looks like a pair of compasses. The figure was very complicated for me, because it´s so very small. Most of the straight lines I pre-did with dremel, just slightly so that I had guidance, and then I finished engraved it all by hand, mostly by a V-shaped graver or a scraper. Then I darkened it with beech tar, which I let dry for about an hour and wiped the rest afterwards.

Very nice, I would like to know more about the eastern war knives.... I'm curious, is the handle shape based off of an artifact?

George Ezell, bladesmith

" How much useful knowledge is lost by the scattered forms in which it is ushered to the world! How many solitary students spend half their lives in making discoveries which had been perfected a century before their time, for want of a condensed exhibition of what is known."
Buffon

view some of my work

RelicForge on facebook

Very nice!

To become old and wise... You first have to survive being young and foolish! ;) Ikisu.blogsot.com. Email; milesikisu@gmail.com mobile: +27784653651

I like this, it will look good on a reenactor, I certainly would like something like that in my kit.

As this is for use and not just for show, how is the ballance of the knife and the overall weight.

Will there be a sheath for it?

I really dig this. Almost like a Russian dha. :)

James Helm - Helm Enterprises, Forging Division

Come see me at the Blade Show! Table 26R.

Proud to be a Neo-Tribal Metalsmith scavenging the wreckage of civilization.

My blog dedicated to the metalwork I make and sell: http://helmforge.blogspot.com/

Hello! And my apologies for not answering for such a long time. Geroge - the handle shape is not based on anything, just my experience and comfort. It sets your palm in such a way that the antler ring is still visible. Jeppe - the weight is around 750-800g, and the balance point is 20cm from the grip. I admit that I prefer my shorter weapons being point-balanced :)

I am impressed. All around. I tried to make handle almost identical to that, without the wrap, on a seax. I didn't get the handle right, and threw it away without showing anyone. You did a wonderful job on what I could not.

That is nice carving, too.

kc

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs