Sign in to follow this  
DFogg

New Forum for selling knives

I know many of you don't have your own web sites, so I wanted to provide this space for anyone who has knives for sale to post them here. Even if you do have a web site and just want to use this as a notice to point the traffic to your site when you have something new for sale.

We get quite a bit of traffic through the forum and much of it comes from interested collectors. I hope that this space will be useful in connecting makers with buyers.

I will not tolerate any exploitation that would only ruin it for everyone. It is open to makers selling their own work. No commercial products or dealers will be allowed.

This will evolve, but for a start maybe we could think of it as a cyber show. Anyway, it is here for you to use.

Don

Guest Guest_Brian Vanspeybroeck_*

Wow! :D

You are a nice man, Don. Thank You!

Brian

Thanks Don, and thanks for a great forum to. :)

DON: This will be greatly appr.. Another good feature of a great knife site. Thanks abunch. ;)

Chuck

Great idea Don. Can you precise whether it is open to collectors selling a piece, or not? I seem to get from your post that the answer is no, but I'd like confirmation.

Joss,

What I want to provide is a place for makers to sell their work or get exposure for their work. There are other forums that are collector forums and that have space for resales. I am not sure that I want to open this forum in that way.

If you have a good argument for doing it, I will definitely listen.

Actually, I'd like to argue against it. It's hard enough to get seen, as a maker, and in other sites that started out as maker space have been mostly eaten up by re-sellers, driving the custom guys away. I think it's like the knife shows where much of the space is used by sellers of factory knives and cheapie imports, it's really hard to compete in that kind of atmosphere.

I'd really like to see a spot where it was custom made only. Partly it's selfish on my part (or mostly) but on the 'Net, even crap get's driven out by pure crap, it would be a service to ALL MANKIND to have a place that resisted the tide.

Well, perhaps that's a bit strong :D , but I'd still like to see a makers only forum (like this one).

Geoff, who's trapped in tech support he..uh...ck

Great idea Don. Thank you and thanks for a great site. I've really enjoyed this forum for a couple years now. I need to figure out how to post pictures so I can share.

Don

No argument for or against, I'm just asking.

Wow Don, I'm in shock.. What an awesome idea this forum is -- Thank you! I'm sure itt'l help all of Us. Ye' indeed rocketh', Mate' (insert the much missed headbanger smiley guy --- HERE) :-)

Then its Makers Only

As to posting images, there have been discussions on this before. Do a search and I think you will find the how to's. I am using an online image site called Flicker but there are hundreds of similar sites.

I use Flicker because it is so easy to upload images and chose the right size to post. Please keep you images 640x480 and around 50k for easy download.

Include a complete description of your knives and a way to get in contact with you. We will see how this unfolds, but I would appreciate it if you post when it is sold. We might even setup a sold folder so that the forum is fresh, but we will cross that bridge when we come to it.

So it's open, go forth and prosper. :)

Thanks Don. I signed up with Flicker. I like the features and will use it to post more. Thank you for the quality information and especially your hospitality. Lin

Guest Guest_Richard Furrer_*

Don,

I think it is a good and kind thing you have done and I hope the quality of the work sold here is on par with the information and lively discussions you have fostered.

Don is not the type to say anything like what I about to, but with this invitation should come some consideration to the host.

To all the makers who will benefit from this, including myself:

I would encourage you to contact Don in a personal letter when an item is sold and help him offset the cost of this venture.

It is obvious that his attitude and expectations for his website and this discussion list in particular is not geared toward personal monetary gain...so it is appropriate that it should be given freely. (in other words: "pony up a percentage")

Ric Furrer

Thank you, Don. You are truly a scholar and a gentleman, and a true exemplar of the generous nature that is the greatest character trait of our knifemakers community.

Vas ein mensch! A gesundt upon you.

Thank you, Don

csc

I appreciate Ric's concern, but I am not asking for and do not want a commission for this. I am happy to help. :D

Guest German

I need to be enlightened on a subject regarding the politics of selling blades. I read an article several years ago (not associated with Don or this forum) that was talking about sales and how one maker never had to consign a blade. The writer acted as if this were politically incorrect to do so. Am I missing something here? I am only a part time maker and I say make the best product your capabilities allow and sell them however you can. I think I would feel even more strongly about it if I were a full time maker and payin' the bills depended on sales. I think this forum is an excellent place to sell and would agree on makers only for above stated reasons.

So my question is are some sales methods frowned upon? I've gotten this feeling from several shows also. I'm not talking about under pricing, but methods and routes.

Guest Guest

Very Cool Don, B)

Thank you.

Very Cool Don,

Thank you.

Thats wierd, <_<

Must have been my evil unregistered twin.

Edited by luc

Eveyone has to develope their own method for marketing their knives. At any rate, this is not a consignment arrangement, just an opportunity to get some exposure for your knives. They won't sell sitting on the bench that's certain and the more people you can put them in front of, the greater the opportunity.

This forum gets between 3000 to 5000 unique visitors a month with 3,158,700 hits already this year. It is a targeted audience and if momentum builds for this and we all contribute, it can really be the equivalent of attending a major show.

I would think about how you want to approach it, but really it is a no brainer especially for those of you who live in far off places or are just breaking into the business. Old hands can use it to announce new work and build traffic to your own sites.

So let's have some fun with this and see what happens.

Thanks Don. This is very gracious of you, and a service to the Craft.