Sources to order Japanese Natural Stones

Daniel Cauble

So i have done sime digging and have found a few sources that allow online ordering, but require phone or fax to complete the transaction, and even then not sure they will ship outside of Japan.

Ebay is a terrible overpriced source it seems also.

Where have some of you ordered from? Or will this require a trip tp Japan? Unfortunatly a buddy of mine just left Japan from a 4 year station in the AF so too late with that.

I also get mine from Japan Woodworker.

”Whoever pursues righteousness and love finds life, prosperity, and honor!”

George Brackett

American Bladesmith's Society,

Apprentice Member

Hialeah, Florida

Blademark photo 375x75BladeMarkPunch-125-sm_zps2e740d6d.jpg

Thanks guys.

Namikawa was one of the places I was unsure about shipping to the U.S.

Another place I found was this (Use Bing url translator to read), was unsure about this lot selling to the U.S. either. I dont speak Japanese so calling is probably out of the question:

http://toishi.biz/index.php?FrontPage

I just checked their shipping rates, and they are easily something I can stomach when you consider what you are getting. If I get a box of roughly 22 pounds of stones, thats like $130 shipping. So as long as I get what I am after, thats a minor bump.

Now to fit this into my list of things to get before my next child, lol.

A friend just gave me this site to try:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/sharpening-stones.html

He's a chef and get his stones from there.

”Whoever pursues righteousness and love finds life, prosperity, and honor!”

George Brackett

American Bladesmith's Society,

Apprentice Member

Hialeah, Florida

Blademark photo 375x75BladeMarkPunch-125-sm_zps2e740d6d.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Just ordered from 330 mate on their japanese site. Lets hope all goes well. Used Paypal to order, so there is some assurance.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's deff. Above 6k in grit. It polished an edge even further that undergone a 6k stones and a strop. Beautiful stone and a joy to use. Can't wait to dive into more! EDIT: Picked out the inclusions and the stone works great now. Otherwise it would have been a turd and an embarrassing purchase.

20160531_201621.jpg

20160531_201646.jpg

Edited by Daniel Cauble

Namikawa and 330mate are both good sources; I have ordered from both. All those rust inclusions in your uchigumori will cause issues with polishing; you need to pick out those inclusions for best results. Hope you didn't pay too much for that stone; the best ones stay in Japan generally.

This is a high grit polishing stone that so far I can confirm is over 6k grit. I don't think this is from the Uchigumori mines. I have seen many stones such as this one. As far as I know about lines like these, there are a good kind, and a bad kind. The good kind simply do not scratch the steel at all, and the bad kind actually do. Infact, 330mate ran a pen across each line for feel prior to selling this stone (I can see the pen marks). I tested it out lastnight with polishing an edge and I couldnt feel them, nor did they seem to cause any harm. This is sedimentary rock afterall. This stone was around $100. And I simply wanted to get a starter stone. I am fully expecting to invest is even better stones in the future. Metalmasterjp is also a seller of some really nice stones in the 300-400 $ range.

Edited by Daniel Cauble

Check out http://www.japanesenaturalstones.comthey have a good selection and international shipping, I personally haven't gotten anything from them but they look promising.

Yes, Maksim is probably the best source I have found in my searches next to namikawa. Prices are up there, but you are paying for quality and quality control.

I'm a huge fan of the synthetic stones, but that is also keeping in mind that I've never used a real stone. Since I'm happy with the fake ones, what I don't know is what the difference really is. Is the price worth seeking them out?

I have heard that the natural stones can have spots where it doesn't cut evenly or wears away faster. Not sure how much of an issue this really is but it's worth asking.

thanks.

There's such a wide variety of naturals out there to choose from. Harder stones, softer stones, more aggressive stones, then coupled with the verity of nagura that are cut from other stones, or even the same stone....plus the stones, especially the harder ones last an entire lifetime, if not a few decades.

I have a number of synthetic stones myself going up to 6000 grit, but I prefer the edge left by my wakita oil stone over my 1000 king for a working edge, and my Coticule/ Belgian blue razor hone over my 6000 King for a razors edge. They both do nearly the same job but I like the finish of my few naturals over my synthetics

• 2 weeks later...

Namikawa and 330mate are both good sources; I have ordered from both. All those rust inclusions in your uchigumori will cause issues with polishing; you need to pick out those inclusions for best results. Hope you didn't pay too much for that stone; the best ones stay in Japan generally.

Now that I have used the stone for actual polishing a secondary bevel, I can feel them. I have seen Murray Carter pick out inclusions with a carbide burr point. He was literally digging the line out. I assume you are aiming to make a valley where the blade doesnt touch the inclusion.

• 3 weeks later...

Ozaki mine, Asagi color. Beautiful stone. Will find out its comparable grit tonight. Should be a level 4-4.5.

20160711_171615.jpg

20160711_171658.jpg

Edited by Daniel Cauble