First Sword, Roman Spatha.

Roman Spatha commission, I don't think Roman's named their swords, but I am okay with that. This was a big piece for me, my first commissioned sword and first sword I didn't ruin outright due to lack of skill or ill preparation! Very stressful at times but immensely rewarding to complete! A huge thanks toPeter Johnsson for historical data, context numbers, and all the wonderful things Peter knows about swords. And also toJ.Arthur Loose, Metalsmith who let me come up and use his salt baths to harden and temper the beast!

TW-Sword (1 of 1).jpg

TW-Sword1.1 (1 of 1).jpg

TW-Sword1.3 (1 of 1).jpg

I love the use of the brass (I assume, you failed to say) and wood on the handle. The figure of the wood and the spacers, just really seem to set the whole thing off. The wooden scabbard and the use of the hammered brass fasteners really works together well! While not a big sword fan, I can still appreciate good hard work when I see it done, so I got to say what's not to love!

Beautiful work! Everything is so clean and precise. Rewarding, indeed!

John

Very nice, I absolutely love the double fullers, the PW looks great too. Did you forge the fullers? If so, how did you do it, and how difficult was it?

Man... I need to step it up a little. :unsure:

That is a great looking sword the dark wood and the brass are a great combo. And the pattern welded blade is top notch , can you tell use what you used to make the whole piece please?

Tom, that is one fine sword. I am taken in by several aspects of it. You should definitely get some more sword orders after this.

kc

Thanks everyone!

That is a great looking sword the dark wood and the brass are a great combo. And the pattern welded blade is top notch , can you tell use what you used to make the whole piece please?

Elaborate? A powerhammer and a press? The fullers are ground in, Dave Delagardelle showed me his fuller grinding jig. Uhhhh the rest is all ground pretty much, minus some glue, some pins and some drilling operations.

I am going crazy fanatic over the fullers continuing their influence in the handle.

Oh the shop Gods are indeed pleased B)

They also influence the shape of the furniture on the scabbard, although more subtly, I wanted to grind them there too, but didn't have the meat!

Nice! Specs?

27" blade, cavalry length, 2" wide at the guard, 1.5"ish at the tip. 32 or 34 overall? I can't remember. Its a little heavy though, at about 3lbs, and the point of balance is 8" in front of the guard, I played my dimensions on the safe side because I could only afford to make the blade once, otherwise I woulda been up shits creek if something went awry, low price point commission. I was discussing the balance with a friend, and he suggest it might not be a bad thing since it was a cavalry length blade, and the forward balance would be nice on a horse, what do you guys think?