Sign in to follow this  
R.H.Graham

Poor manners by some posters on this board.

This is the board where folks can offer thier stuff for sale.

More often than not the same pieces have already been posted in the show n tell or critique boards.

I would suggest that some of you that are posting your opinions and criticisms of knives here, on the for sale board, are showing a great lack of respect, and common sense, and possibly making it harder for members to sell thier knives.

I would think it would be better to post your thoughts on other people's work in the show and tell, where it is more appropriate.

What Randal says is important.

There is a specific board where members can post examples of work to get feedback and critique.

The Knives for Sale board is not the place to offer critique or discuss work, just like Randal points out.

If a member offers a blade for sale, it is wise to think twice and hold back possible comments.

I understand it can be easy to confuse the two boards: "Show and Tell" and "Knives for Sale". Please pause for a moment to make sure if critique is welcome or not.
-Thanks!
:-)

And if you want to discuss a blade that is in the For Sale board but not in the Show and Tell board use the Private Message (PM) system to ask the poster your questions or to start a thread in the other board. PMs are great!

Yes, although there is nothing wrong with the criticisms themselves, it is a time and place issue.

In a sale forum, or at a show for that matter, negative comments can really have a bad effect on the whole deal, and it just not the place.

Especially coming from other makers. It can border on insulting in some case, and very disrespectfull.

In the show and tell, or the design and critique forums, it comes across completely differently, even the very same statements.

That is the place for it. Some of the folks here are trying to eek out a living with this craft also so although it may not seem to be a big deal to some, to them, it can be a very frustrating and disheartening thing to deal with, to have folks jumping aboard a knife with personal opinions as they are trying to make a sale.

Edited by R.H.Graham
  • Like 1

Randal,

This is a very good point. Thank you for bringing it to the attention of the forum as a whole.

Dave

Agreed. I think some folks who don't depend on these kinds of sales to pay the bills just don't see the connection.

When it comes to sales, if you don't have anything nice to say... ;)

I remember when I was in a fast-food joint in Istanbul of all places, about to take my tray back to the disposal, when I stopped suddenly and left it there. My buddy asked me why I did that. I pointed to the young person who I noticed was doing this at another table over and said "You don't take the food out of someone else's hand." Taking away someone's livelihood is always poor manners.

Ah, it's been revived. Then I can suggest what I wanted to say a couple of months ago when I saw this thread.

I can see how someone who hasn't had their coffee or something might not actually realize the post is a sales thread.
They often look very much like the "critique my work" or "show and tell" threads, and I've almost made the boo-boo of posting myself.
If I were to post something for sale I would much prefer that any contact was made in a PM anyway, and to keep the thread clean for my own updates.
That was a long way of suggesting that only the OP could write in a sales thread, or be given a choice when making it.

Edited by Steffen Dahlberg

Ah, it's been revived. Then I can suggest what I wanted to say a couple of months ago when I saw this thread.

I can see how someone who hasn't had their coffee or something might not actually realize the post is a sales thread.

They often look very much like the "critique my work" or "show and tell" threads, and I've almost made the boo-boo of posting myself.

If I were to post something for sale I would much prefer that any contact was made in a PM anyway, and to keep the thread clean for my own updates.

That was a long way of suggesting that only the OP could write in a sales thread, or be given a choice when making it.

Something that might help that, (something I've seen in other forums) is add [s&T] (show and tell), [FS] (for sale), etc in the topic title.

Knives For Sale posts, nearly always, have an asking price...

I have never seen an asking price in either Show and Tell or Design and Critique.

That's my 2 pence on the subject of knowing what type of thread you are reading.

James