DaveEvans

Need more shop light for tired old eyes! What kind are you using?

I am leaning toward the 8' high output with the single-pin ends to make bulb changes a snap.

If you are happy with your shop lights please tell me full details!

Thanks,

Dave

im looking at the new led lights very clear light from them, right now im using compact florescent incandescents in swing arms and a 48 inch dubble fixture over the main bench thats the grind shop the forge is all compact florescence ill switch to led hopefully before winter as the compacts take a bit to come up to full brightness but i dont want the light to bright or to white less i have to reteach my self the forge colors again

I have the eight foot overheads, and I put full-spectrum daylight (6500 K) tubes and cold start ballasts in them. Very clean white light. But, as Brandon noted, I had to readjust my eyes to the new forge colors. Only burned up three hawk heads in the process...

I've had it with flourecent tubes, they tire my old eyes as they do flicker...never noticed it until I was given a 5 watt led, now my vice work is a pleasure, and I can keep at it a lot longer! And in the event of a power failure (common here!) I can hook up to a 12 volt battery...useful! So I'll be fitting my shop out with them!

my workshop lighting is entirely LEDs, but that's because I'm off grid and strip lights don't play well with battery banks or generators :( Mostly I work by daylight courtesy of a lots of skylights in the roof, it does mean that the leds are pretty rubbish until it gets properly dark outside though. LED spotlights are great and i have them set up above machines, they work well even if its a sunny day :)

Sunlight in the windows, good old incandescents throughout the shop, and 2 4-foot flourescents (one I had to learn to wire up myself) over the workbench. And the glowing light of my forge! So...pretty much whatever I can get my hands on.

LED shop lights and four hallogen spot lights one in each corner of my shop can get a bit warm but its not to bad makes it look like high noon at midnight

So- here is what I ended up with. I have 6 of these in my 20 x 30 shop and used the Phillips super-daylight bulbs. Way more light than before and easier to see flaws and scratches. These exceed my expectations.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-Lighting-Industrial-6-Light-High-Bay-Grey-Hanging-Fluorescent-Fixture-IB-632-MVH/202193185

Dave