Coping with what we do

Sometimes it seems the whole world is agin' us! :(

Scroll down

LadiesKitchenAccesory3.jpg

26531[/snapback]

I find that very offensive and inappropriate.

Paranoid Possum :(

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seeing as how I'm not seeing any references to kitchen meat slicers in the last page of this thread, I'm thinking he's a spammer.  Maybe @Alan Longmire can confirm one way or the other.

Yep, total spammer.  Deleted with extreme prejudice.

If only Congress would agree with my suggested justice for spammers and anyone to do with the robo-call industry: Forcible organ donation for every offense.  That would both benefit humanity and force

Edited/deleted

I chose to delete my post as Yoni had led my mind astray yet again. :P

Edited by Tim Crocker
  • 2 years later...

Wasn't it Tom Maringer who stoped making swords because someone had used one of his swords to kill?

It wasn't a sword... it was a "stealth turd"... bead blasted ATS-34 stainless steel, ten inch double edged blade, black micarta handle, Kydex & nylon shoulder rig designed for concealed carry and fast draw. The person who did the deed called me, pridefully explaining how my knife had done the job in exemplary fashion, and including ALL the details. I was supposed to be happy to hear it. But I couldn't get it out of my head. I would stand at the grinder with a piece of steel in my hand and I could not divorce myself from the knowledge of what exactly was the design-function of the object I was creating... I would imagine the scene of this very piece of steel coming from my hand and then spilling someone's blood... the glazing of the eyes as death takes them... the smell of guts and piss and feces as the sphincters relax... the grief of the mother... the inability of their kids to understand what happened to daddy. And for what? Who knows? Somebody's political idea? Money? Power?

That was 1994. It took 12 years before I was able to work through it enough to make another knife.

I still do not plan on making any more stealth turds.

Tom

It wasn't a sword... it was a "stealth turd"... bead blasted ATS-34 stainless steel, ten inch double edged blade, black micarta handle, Kydex & nylon shoulder rig designed for concealed carry and fast draw. The person who did the deed called me, pridefully explaining how my knife had done the job in exemplary fashion, and including ALL the details. I was supposed to be happy to hear it. But I couldn't get it out of my head. I would stand at the grinder with a piece of steel in my hand and I could not divorce myself from the knowledge of what exactly was the design-function of the object I was creating... I would imagine the scene of this very piece of steel coming from my hand and then spilling someone's blood... the glazing of the eyes as death takes them... the smell of guts and piss and feces as the sphincters relax... the grief of the mother... the inability of their kids to understand what happened to daddy. And for what? Who knows? Somebody's political idea? Money? Power?

That was 1994. It took 12 years before I was able to work through it enough to make another knife.

I still do not plan on making any more stealth turds.

Tom

Thank you for sharing Tom. Your story has given me a better feel and understanding on this subject. What helped you get back into making?

Hi Sam:

Actually, I would not really say that I am "back into making". Essentially I was between jobs and short of $$$ and had an offer I could'nt refuse. I did it for money in other words... but found that I was okay with it. I'm not averse to making more, but at the moment I have no time.

In August I accepted a position working as a field geologist for a mineral exploration company. I've been in the field three weeks per month in Nevada and Utah looking for gold and uranium. The one week a month I get to spend at home sarcely leaves any time for shop projects. Metals are all still quite high, so the exploration companies have all gone into high gear. The work is interesting and the money is good, so for now I'll just be doing that.

Be well!

Tom

Thank you for sharing Tom. Your story has given me a better feel and understanding on this subject. What helped you get back into making?
  • 13 years later...

Welcome to the forum, Lucas.   

Allow me to suggest looking at the date of the initial and last post of a thread before responding.  This conversation started 16 years ago and the last post was almost 13 years ago, so I'm pretty sure this topic is long over for those involved.  Also, clicking on a member's name will allow you to see the last time they logged on to this forum, and neither the initial poster nor the last person who responded to this thread have been active on this forum for the past 7-8 years. 

This is referred to as necro-posting and it's usually better accepted to start a new topic if you feel you have something useful to add.  

• Like 1

Seeing as how I'm not seeing any references to kitchen meat slicers in the last page of this thread, I'm thinking he's a spammer.  Maybe @Alan Longmire can confirm one way or the other.

• Like 3

If only Congress would agree with my suggested justice for spammers and anyone to do with the robo-call industry: Forcible organ donation for every offense.  That would both benefit humanity and force the perpetrator to think long and hard before doing it again.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Alex Middleton said:

spammer. 

my thought too, but not being sure, I want to give them the benefit of the doubt.

But I guess I should ask:  Alan, do you want us random folks to help with this forum etiquette stuff or should I just ignore these kind of posts and let someone else (ie, you) deal with them?

Edited by billyO

I have to concede, picking through that post was an interesting trip down memory lane. So, uh, thanks, deleted spammer? Not the outcome you intended, but I... appreciate it?

12 hours ago, billyO said:

my thought too, but not being sure, I want to give them the benefit of the doubt.

But I guess I should ask:  Alan, do you want us random folks to help with this forum etiquette stuff or should I just ignore these kind of posts and let someone else (ie, you) deal with them?

You did good, Billy. B). By all means, keep it up!  

• Thanks 1