mokume-gane

Justin leonard

Ok so I know That Mokume is a metal alloy made of soft metals such as brass and copper or silver. My question is how much more diffcult is it to make than damascus and how much of a pain is it to work i want to use it as a bolster and pomel but I dont know if its in my range or if i should stick to blued stell for the effect i want

http://bearclawknives.com/ my mentor and his friends once told me there os no problem that cant be solved with a fine cigar and a pot of coffee

you know some people just need a sympathetic pat.....on the head........with sledge hammer

Seven Points Forge by the Bay

Mokume-gane can be very simple to make. You can do it with either sheets of the metals you want (anything that will fuse, really) or, you can do it with the cupronickel found in quarters and dimes. I did a writeup on the latter method a while ago-

Mokume-Gane

It requires a little different touch than when working with ferrous metals, namely the tendency to delaminate. However, it is very workable when annealed occasionally and worked slowly. I have used it on a number of knives now, and it can give very different looks depending on what metals you use and how you etch/patinate it. I actually made mokume-gane successfully well before I ever had luck with pattern welding. Because it is essentially non-ferrous damascus, you can do the same thing as you would to steel to get the patterns you want.

John

Not all those who wander are lost. -J.R.R. Tolkien

-Shards of the Dark Age- my blog
-Nine Worlds Workshop-
-Last Apocalypse Forge-

It's also going to depend on he metals that you use, a bit like damascus. There are good books out there on it, I'd tell you the one that I have but I can't find the pile it's in right now.

Doug

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!