Black Sand for smelting... Is there a market?

Ben Potter

My brothers and I have done a fair amount of prospecting for gold in the local hills and while we have never found much color, we have found plenty of black sand. So I was wondering are there any smiths out there that would be interested in purchasing black sand and if so for how much?

Let me know what you think.

Ben Potter Bladesmith

It's not that I would trade my lot

Or any other man's,

Nor that I will be ashamed

Of my work torn hands-

For I have chosen the path I tread

Knowing it would be steep,

And I will take the joys thereof

And the consequences reap.

I raised this possibility a couple of years ago, and from what I'm told then, not all black sand is iron oxide - some is only dark silica based minerals that can make up a significant fraction ( maybe even most in some cases ).

So you would have to assay the iron content for it to be worth much to anyone.

Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy.

I did dome checking, and I as I thought, I asked questions on this forum about "Black Sand" back in 2008 - here is the link to the answers I received:

Noob question

Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy.

Magnetite can be tricky to smelt, and per the thread you linked to, running only 5 pounds for a smelt and getting a low yield would be pretty normal, IMHO. You usually need to charge much more for any sort of bloom to form.