Sleek New Bowie from AmeRRuss!

AmeRRuss Blade Arts piece recently finished:

Blade: 15N20 ,1084 steels, laddered, C. 500L

Hilt : Damascus, sterling silver, wood unk. .5 karat brilliant cut diamond

I really enjoyed working on this one! Bowies and fighters are some of my fav forms to make, so this one was a real treat.

OAL,15" Blade 9.5"

P1010130.JPG

P1010138.JPG

P1010124.JPG

P1010133.JPG

P1010134.JPG

I can't believe I'm about to be critical of a J.D.Smith creation, because I've loved your work for longer than I've been making knives, and I respect you or I would keep it to myself... (I fully expect to be struck by lightning none the less).

I would like it so much better if the curve of the blade spine and the curve of the handle were more harmonious. It is an amazing piece of work, but it just does not quite look right to my eye.

AmeRRuss Blade Arts piece recently finished:

Blade: 15N20 ,1084 steels, laddered, C. 500L

Hilt : Damascus, sterling silver, wood unk. .5 karat brilliant cut diamond

I really enjoyed working on this one! Bowies and fighters are some of my fav forms to make, so this one was a real treat.

OAL,15" Blade 9.5"

Did I just miss it, or is the Diamond not in the pictures? I'm Curious about where you would choose to place it and the setting you used.

Thanks for sharing, Your work is always incredible.

Ah! You forgot to post a buttcap pic! Now I can fault you!

Damn that is awesome! What a way to finish up an amazing handle, I love it!

If you don't mind answering a few more questions about it, did you leave the buttcap soft to facilitate setting? Did you use regular setting tools on the steel, and is it any more difficult than regular settings like gold and platinum due to the steel being harder?

JD - outstanding work. Always love to see what you and Joseph come up with. New stuff with a slightly old form.

kc

Jules, the stone is set with a standard bezel setting technique. The silver bezel was set into the damascus fastener, then the stone was set into the bezel...simple.

Gorgeous work! I'm sorry I couldn't make it to the New England Hammer In to see you work. My wife had back surgery with complications, so I figured it would be bad form to go to Maine. :huh:

It is a process that is CONCLUDED with and by an etching process.

What you're seeing is material called pattern welded or, Damascus steel. This is a steel that has been assembled from at least two kinds of steel; in this case both are high carbon steels, but with slightly different alloying elements. One bears more nickel giving it a brighter appearance. The metals are prepared in strips which are then forge welded together and folded by certain schemas to produce the visible patterns you see. Once the material has been forged and shaped into the desired shape, it is heat treated, polished, and finally etched in a mild acid or in this case ferric chloride. This etching attacks the different steels at different rates leaving one of them standing in relief from the other. That is a very brief description of the process. I hope this inspires you to read further on the subject!