Dave Stephens

A Single Edged Viking Sword WIP: Florianek/Stephens Collaboration

Ha ha, Bruce I was just going to point out that Tolkien's elves are in fact, derived exactly from Norse Mythology, as are the dwarves- perhaps elaborated upon, but the direct source none the less. ;)

Dave, that's a nice blade. No doubt. You've made me feel like I'm slacking in the shop and now I want to get all forgey! ;)

That is a phenomenal bit of work. I'm a huge fan of that blade shape, and stand in awe of your craftsmanship. Absolutely beautiful work!

On the sanders - someone used to talk about how they used a palm sander like that, but replaced the soft pad with a sheet of micarta covered with the super-thin material used to make engine gaskets. I tried the modification and it was dead-on perfect for doing blades without rounding over sharp lines. Just enough give in the gasket material and just enough firmness in the micarta.

Of course, as Alan noted, the sanders can burn out quickly if you get some metal dust in there. Keeping the blade nicely wetted really makes a difference, but....

Edited by VaughnT

:blink: That is a wicked pattern. I totally agree with the others, it's hard to believe it's only 30" long! That pattern...Can't get over it!

I'll be eagerly awaiting Petr's additions

John

Outstanding pattern Dave!

This will bring a great character to a hilt made by Petr. The result will be unique and interesting.
I also like the ideas being put forward that it has something of the original Midgård elves about it.

Exiting project :-)

Thanks to the fellow admin for pinning this! Alan, was that you? (You all should know, as admins, we consider it poor form to pin one's own topic, so we're just as pleased when one gets pinned).

Thanks all for the kind words. They truly mean a lot. This forum is a constant source of inspiration, encouragement, and education.

Cheers!

Dave

Yep, that was me. I thought it was worth it once I saw the closeups of the steel, and especially with what Petr is going to do. Not that I know, of course, but still, it's Petr so it has to be great! B)

that's my kind of blade shape! its something like a tanto scaled up to 30"...muha

Edited by DaveJ

I`m glad that Alan pinned it. I think the amount of most excellent work that you put into this lamination is amazing, I can`t wait to see whole colabaration come together!!!

Most awesome work Dave!!

Martin

wow - no way I would have guessed that was 30". Not sure why, but it looks shorter.

the steel, especially the edge body and edge steel, is just wicked. I could stare at it for a long time.

you nailed this one, Dave.

I was watching something on the History Channel recently that theorized the Vikings may have actually traded with Persians, so the single edge persian look to the blade might make a great deal of sense in that context. It may have been the Ulfberht (sp?) show?? My wife is Persian, and walked by the computer while I was looking at the blade pics and my wife said, "hey, who's building a Persian sword"?????

Edited by Ray Hammond

Not to detract from the amazing craftsmanship or the absolute awe this sword brings but...

All this talk of Viking/Persian makes me think of that scene in the 13th Warrior...

Skeld the Superstitious:
[Ahmad Ibn Fahdlan shows off his new scimitar, whittled down from a Viking sword; Skeld shrugs]
He insisted.

Weath the Musician:
Give an Arab a sword, he makes a knife.

Ahmed Ibn Fahdlan:
[cuts through a thick wooden pole in one chop]
It works.

[He tosses it into the air, twirls it around, then holds the blade to Weath's neck]

Weath the Musician:
When you die, can I give that to my daughter?

[laughter]

excitedly awaiting the next stages!!!!!!!

Did this ever get finished up?

Sorry if another thread was started and I missed it... I came back to this one as I am dreaming up inspiration to attempt another multi bar weld.

Thanks

It's not dead! Petr is just swamped with business. Last time I spoke with him he was planning on starting on this project in the next couple of months.

Dave

Holy moly... this is making me happysad. Happy because it's a beautiful project, ssd because it made me remind that after 4 years away from forge welding, i just failed a billet of single steel... anyway, very good job. If you need a third to collaborate for the scabbard, give me a whistle... ;)

Petr asked me to upload these progress pics because his connection is giving him trouble.

Check out the cool Bear theme.

Really looking forward to seeing this thing finished!

Dave

0.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

What materiasl is he using for the handle?

More 

Francesco: I believe the grip is ash (but that looks like maple to my eye), the guards of antler, the pommel will be of cast bronze. I'm unsure what the silver metal of the ferrules is.

Dave

1.jpg0.jpg3.jpg

1 hour ago, Petr Florianek said:

Hello Gentlemen! the grip is maple and silver metal is silver :-)

Hello! It looks very nice so far. I can't wait to see the finished cast. Lost wax always fascinates me.

Are there going to be metal plates on each side of the antlers as well? 

Looking really good!  Good to see you around again Petr!