An introduction and a question on belt sander

Hello,

I haven't posted a whole lot on this forum but have read quite a bit. I can't seem to find an answer to my question. I need a new way to grind my blades. I have been using an angle grinder but I have been looking at one of these attachments for a bench grinder http://www.amazon.com/MultiTool-36-Belt-Grinding-Attachment/dp/B00BNBAQ90 does anyone have any experience with them? Do they work okay? And are they worth the money? I know it won't be the same as a Burr King or a big grinder like that but I just need something better than an angle grinder. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Kent.

Edited by Kent Swedlund

I'd go with a Craftsman 2x42 belt/disk sander combo. It's only about $170, which leaves room in the budget for some quality belts from a supplier like TruGrit. I'm a beginner and it's what I use.

http://m.sears.com/craftsman-21513-1-3-hp-electric-belt-disc-sander-21513/p-00921513000P

Edited by Mike Andriacco

I second the Craftsman. With a couple of modifications you can find on YouTube they make a good low price point unit.

If it were me (and it kinda is right now)...

Save your $200

Make & sell some stuff to earn about $250 more

In the mean time, scrounge a decent 1.5 or 2hp motor (I'm trying to figure out an old 1.5hp DC motor so I can go variable speed)

Buy a Coote http://cootebeltgrinder.com/

Now you have a real grinder. Not a KMG or Bader (just one wheel and a flat platten), but a real grinder nonetheless.

By the time you get a Coote, buy a motor, pulleys and belt set it up you can get an entry level Phere 2x72 with motor, VFD, and add different tool arms for multiple heads as the need arises.

If your just starting and want to go for something to start with I still believe you would be well served as a starter with the Craftsman unit. I have a friend who after starting into knife making found he did not have the patience or care to invest the time need to make knives. He sold his Craftsman to me and it's in my wood working shop. Basically got his money back. I make equipment investments as I become committed in the long term.

I was afraid that I was on the verge of having to step up to a serious piece of equipment. George thanks for the tip on Pheer Grinders. They seem to be well reviewed and the very basic model is only $975. Thanks everyone for your help.

Kent with a Phere you are stepping into a serious grinder. You just will be a bit slower grinding them. As you move forward you can upgrade the motor and VFD to a larger one and use the old one to make a disk grinder. Jose has that kit also. If you talk to him, give him my regards. He's a nice person to deal with.

Thanks George. I realize I will be stepping up to a serious piece of equipment but I am in an awkward spot in my hobby. At the moment I only have an angle grinder. I will look at this as an investment.

My anvil was my first major investment followed by my Phere. Nearly 3 years later I just invested in a dedicated work space. 10x20 shed for a work shop. When I started my main tools where a 2 brick forge, anvil, 2 hammers, sandpaper, battery drill, and some files. A couple of which became knives.

Your on a fun journey, if you need any help PM me. If you were closer I would say come over.

Have a nice day!