Sign in to follow this  
Mark Green

Taking inventory on the bloom pile.

While cleaning up the shed today, I took stock of what I have been doing for the past year or so, on none projects.

I have slowed down the blooming this year to do lots of hearth -refining experiments, and to make some stuff out of all the bloom I have made over the last few years.

I hadn't looked at it all for months. So, it was good to take stock.
 I'm itching to do some blooming, and have a couple planned this fall, but I still have plenty to work on. :)

001.JPG The pile. 002.JPG Some multi fold bars of good edge steel. 003.JPG All the Hearth-refined steel and iron bars. 006.JPG A few seax blade billets, of low carbon, and plain iron, awaiting carburization process.

And about 45lbs. of bloom still to play with.

That is a beautiful sight. I can't wait to get back into it this fall.

Bloomy goodness! One of these days...

All those blooms and bars are not going anywhere, lets see some more smelts! :D

Soon enough my friend.

I've been jones'en for a few weeks now.

Likely Sat. the 6th of Sept. :)

Mark,

Quite a pile of work there...I notice you often have a student or helper during your schmeltzing...able to grab a sledge hammer. I work by myself and have great hopes for a press.....do you find the press ideal for consolidating blooms?

I am putting together a press this week, the press is done but I bought a large power unit which needed to be modified from 18 gallons per minute to about 8or9or7 ( fixed flow rate) . The press is a simple 4 post all-thread assembly..I am hoping the die width of 2-2.25" will not be too large as my working pressure will be about 15 tonnes ( the cylinder would do much more but the press frame will fail at 72 tonnes ). The pump that came with the cylinder is so slow it makes mini-presses look fast ( and it has some leakage issues ). I will post some pictures with my new camera when things clear up around the work area.

Edit: I just realized there are no welds in this press frame.

Jan

Edited by Jan Ysselstein

MARK,

Here are some pics of the press, the future pump and some material waiting to get pressed into service. The press is made from all recycled stuff...(2) 12"x12"x2" plates some 1" all thread and some DOM with 1" hole and 1/2" walls. I had to torque the nuts pretty hard to make sure the DOM stayed under compression. I may have to make the set up more rigid but that I will try to avoid as this is actually parts for a future rolling mill ( much more squat however ).....so this is intended to be a temporary press just to get the feel of all things hydraulic.

The pump is 7.5 hp running at 18 gals/min ( pump spec)..I only need half of that or less..so the pump output is directed to a rotary flow divider which will half my volume while doubling the pressure..I will set the relief valve at the pump for 800 psi and should get 1600 psi at the press..the other 1/2 of the pump volume goes right back to a filter then to the tank. I am hoping this pump will not be screaming at me while I work...if it does it is going out.

DSCN0077.jpg

DSCN0079.jpg

DSCN0080.jpg

DSCN0086.jpg This power unit came with an air/hydraulic unit probably for clamping

DSCN0087.jpg The blooms made with pine charcoal are set aside for comparison to my pit stuff

Jan

Edited by Jan Ysselstein

That sure looks like it will do the trick.

I love my press. If my motor had been a separate unit, it wouldn't have died in 18 mo. due to bad shielding design.

I'm hoping Al has changed the bad design on the back side of his presses. A couple of people now have had their press motor die in less the 3 years.

Mark

Mark,

I don't know about the Al's press, but, I think people tend to keep the pedal to the metal too long ......and overwork the electric motors. If your pump is rated at 2 gpm at high pressure and your ram is not moving at least .5" persecond you should be going in the opposite direction (IMHO) .

The electric to the unit and its stand alone rotary phase converter is complete, the pump is very quiet and runs in the right direction ( luck). I need to get to our local Hose Shop to finish the plumbing and control valve.....then I am hoping for some bloom time.

The all-thread I am using should allow the press frame to go to a tonnage much higher than I first thought ...maybe as much as double the amount.

I will try to figure out how to add a video when I get it into operation .

Jan

Edited by Jan Ysselstein

Mine is fast, but it sure isn't quiet.

Mark,

The problem with this cylinder is the going up ( retracting speed ) will be more than twice the going down speed ( going down speed should be about 1.5"/second ,fixed, at single speed)) ...I may have to plumb in a bleed off in the going up circuit to slow that down..I do not see a need for much pull strength ( other than dis-logging a tool or tooling ).

The electrician helped me patch the various elements to a working assembly, but the plumbing I will have to figure out...I had a plug on the pump outlet ( fairly tight ) and found a sizable puddle of fluid when testing the pump motor for rotation direction. I think containing all that liquid under high pressure will be a challenge.

Jan

Edited by Jan Ysselstein