This one has been lying around my shop in various stages of completion for about 2 years. It's my first attempt at a hand-rubbed finish and boy do I have new respect for you guys that finish all your blades this way! Gracious! I've got over 400 hours rubbing this thing and it's still got flaws! (I know, boo-hoo...)

Here are the stats:

11-1/2"; blade, 17"; OAL. Aldo's W-2, aged copper, and Sambar stag.

Thanks to Dave Stephens for the tip on how to file groove around the guard!!!

and thanks to JD Smith for the challenge to step up my game.

P.S. - It's my 2nd ever sheath. Cowhide and rattlesnake, 205 stitches and fun to make.

I enjoyed making it, hope you guys enjoy seeing it. God bless you all.

1.JPG
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG

GREAT looking pair! The copper and the flow of the color and shape of the knife flows nicely!

Real nice!

I got some of those laying around in various stages of finish. If they make it to the finish line one day I hope they turn out at least half as good as that one!

Well I thought the handle looked a little short and then I thought maybe it was just the angle of the photo. By dimensions it should be just about perfect at 5 1/2" in length.

However this caught my eyes while re-reading the description. QUOTE: P.S. - It's my 2nd ever sheath. Cowhide and rattlesnake, 205 stitches and fun to make. Wow if that is your second sheath ever, you are going to be real good at what you do! 35.gifthumbup.gif

Excellent job man, the finish and hamon are top notch.

I've got over 400 hours rubbing this thing

I have to ask.... what brand of sandpaper are you using?

Great work! Love the knife! 2nd sheath? Looks a load beter than my 52nd!!!

For speeding up your finish, I use a 'paddle' imade out of a piece of hard wood,1/4 inch tkick, +- the size of a file and 1 1/2 inches wide, handle on each side and a strip of thin dense leather glued on one side, sprayed with tacky stuff (mounting adheasive art supply store) I use wurth wet or dry paper and cut strips to fit, strokes up and down length of the blade, works well!

Wow! Thanks for the compliments! Praise from those you admire is hard to beat.

GEzell, I'm not sure of the brand. I just went 150, 220, 400, 500, 800, 1500, 2000, 3000 paper, then 5 micron and 1/2 micron aluminum oxide.

Once again, thanks guys.

Cheers,

Dan

Edited by Dan Hurtado

Dan, I was recently introduced to Rhynowet Redline sheets after hearing some other knifemakers giving them high praises, and I must say they are excellent, far better than I was getting locally. Do like I did, buy a few sheets and try them out, then buy a 6 month supply after you see for yourself how good they are.....:)

1/2 micron? You're a madman!